Jun 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
And now he’s already back on the field.
Alex Angert of MLB.com reports that Ellis has begun hitting in a cage and taking ground balls, and the veteran second baseman called his rapid recovery “a pleasant surprise.”
There’s no timetable yet for his return, but it certainly sounds like Ellis playing again this season is a definite possibility and that certainly wasn’t a given just three weeks ago.
Adam Kennedy and Jerry Hairston have been splitting time at second base in Ellis’ absence.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 33
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (95)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)