Jun 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
And now he’s already back on the field.
Alex Angert of MLB.com reports that Ellis has begun hitting in a cage and taking ground balls, and the veteran second baseman called his rapid recovery “a pleasant surprise.”
There’s no timetable yet for his return, but it certainly sounds like Ellis playing again this season is a definite possibility and that certainly wasn’t a given just three weeks ago.
Adam Kennedy and Jerry Hairston have been splitting time at second base in Ellis’ absence.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)