Jun 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
And now he’s already back on the field.
Alex Angert of MLB.com reports that Ellis has begun hitting in a cage and taking ground balls, and the veteran second baseman called his rapid recovery “a pleasant surprise.”
There’s no timetable yet for his return, but it certainly sounds like Ellis playing again this season is a definite possibility and that certainly wasn’t a given just three weeks ago.
Adam Kennedy and Jerry Hairston have been splitting time at second base in Ellis’ absence.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)