Jun 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
And now he’s already back on the field.
Alex Angert of MLB.com reports that Ellis has begun hitting in a cage and taking ground balls, and the veteran second baseman called his rapid recovery “a pleasant surprise.”
There’s no timetable yet for his return, but it certainly sounds like Ellis playing again this season is a definite possibility and that certainly wasn’t a given just three weeks ago.
Adam Kennedy and Jerry Hairston have been splitting time at second base in Ellis’ absence.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)