Flawless: Matt Cain throws a perfect game versus Astros

Jun 14, 2012, 1:08 AM EDT

Matt Cain AP

Matt Cain turned in one of the most dominant performances in recent memory Wednesday night, going 27 up and 27 down against the Astros for the 22nd perfect game in MLB history.

Cain was overpowering with 14 strikeouts, which ties Sandy Koufax for the most ever in a perfect game. And the Giants right-hander also got a little help from his defense as left fielder Melky Cabrera made a leaping catch at the wall in the sixth inning and right fielder Gregor Blanco preserved the perfection with a fantastic diving catch at the warning track in the seventh inning.

Cain made quick work of the Astros in the ninth inning, entering the final frame with 114 pitches and then needing just 11 more to get a foul out, a fly out, and a game-ending ground out to third base. Oh, and the Giants won 10-0.

Philip Humber threw the last perfect game on April 21 of this season, striking out nine and setting the Mariners down in order on just 94 pitches. This is just the second time in modern baseball history that there have been two perfect games in the same season, with the other being 2010 when Dallas Braden and Roy Halladay both accomplished the feat.

1. bestcoastinfluence - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Lincecum who? Cain is taking over as the best pitcher on the Giants

• theaxmancometh - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Timmy should’ve not been greedy & signed long term like the Giants wanted him to. Obviously it’s way early but Cain looks like the way better investment & there’s no way anyone is gonna risk a long term deal on Lincecum after next year unless he does a complete 180. Congrats Giants fans, on the perfecto & avoiding Zito 2.0

2. rickeye9 - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Timmy should be in the minors, Cain has been a rock for the his entire career

3. thomas2727 - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM

First Perfect Game I have watched from beginning to end in my life and I have watched thousands of games. All I can say is incredible.

4. brownsbraves11 - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Minor correction: Blanco was the right fielder, not the center fielder. But another perfect game. Jesus, these are becoming commonplace.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 14, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Commonplace? It might seem so, with 6 since July 20 of ’09 (I count Galarraga’s, sue me), but… The first two ever pitched happened in the same week! Then none for 24 years, then 3 in 18 years, then none for over 30 years, then 4 in 12 years, then another gap of 13 years. All the ones pitched in my dad’s lifetime have also been during my lifetime. They seem to ebb and flow. Maybe we’ll see more soon. Maybe not. Still, no one has yet pitched a second one. Another factor: when I was a kid, there were 16 MLB teams that played 154 games. Now, 30 play 162 plus playoffs. More games, more chances for magic.

5. randygnyc - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I watched this game from the 4th inning on MLB.tv. Just extraordinary. I’ll remember blanco’s catch in the 7th inning forever. Magical. Like dewayne wise’s catch.

I would’ve liked for there have been a way to post a heads up here for everyone to watch this. I know the MLB channel always picks up no hitters in the 7th. I was surprised that MLB.tv continued to broadcast the post game festivities. They usually just cut out at games end.

6. randygnyc - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Correction, 22nd perfect game in MLB history.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM

That’s why Aaron said modern history—it doesn’t include the two in 1880.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:34 AM

And of course he has since changed it.

7. sneschalmers - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I would also like to congratulate Matt Cain on having an incredibly hot wife.

8. Utley's Hair - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Congrats to Cain and the Giants.

But it would’ve been an even more special night if RA Dickey had gotten his no-hitter, too. Wright should’ve been charged with an error.

9. granted42 - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

And with this win, his career record is 76-75. He’s a winner!!!

10. randygnyc - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Utley- I just watched Terry Collins interview and he’s appealing the wright play to MLB. He’s willing to throw his player under the bus to argue that it should have been scored an error. This after the wright interview got David saying he had to barehand it because of upton’s speed and it hit the lip of the grass causing a bad hop. The definition of a hit. Good grief.

• theaxmancometh - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

So Collins is willing to have Wright take an error but not a pitch in the back from Greinke after Braun was drilled… shady dude

• Utley's Hair - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

The difference being getting hit in the stat sheet versus in the kidney? Paper covers rock.

• theaxmancometh - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I would say his own player wouldn’t agree with his Collins decision on either account, not like the call is gonna get changed anyway. Making it a no hitter after the fact would be kinda lame.

11. ramitbaby - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

His wife looks like a complete b***h.

• skerney - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:38 AM

What on Earth is the matter with you?

• blabidibla - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Dodger fan.

12. danielcp0303 - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:12 AM

So mad at myself for turning the game off. Watched the first 3 innings (Astros fan) and I just knew there was no chance the Astros were going to win. Congrats to Matt Cain, always liked the guy.

• stex52 - Jun 14, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I feel your pain, but I also share your opinion. I couldn’t watch last night, but I probably would have turned it off, too. But that’s what is great about baseball. We can all cheer the stellar performance, no matter who does it.

13. thenoblebard93 - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Words cannot describe the pure joy I feel right now!

God bless you Matt. God bless you.

14. rastaraider - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:32 AM

( Standing ovation )

15. randygnyc - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Axman- on MLB channel, Harold rains didn’t like the Collins appeal and suggesting the cardinals should have the fair/foul ball appealed for santana’s no no. He made his point.

• barryhoskings - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Once you appeal one decision, then it starts: the one before yours appeals, then the one before that one appeals, and on and one it goes. Classic pandora’s box. Plus, winning something after the event somehow, for most of us, takes the joy out of it all. That is unless you’re an ice skater in the Winter Olympics and the voting is rigged. That’s the only time an appeal seemed to be worth it.

16. 49ersgiants4life - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Finally Cainer gets some credit he has been the giants most consistent pitcher for his whole career he was just plagued by no run support!

17. randygnyc - Jun 14, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Granted42- Cain is a winner, he just plays with losers. Toss out his won loss record. He’s received the lowest run support of any pitcher over the last 6 years. Consider this, when his team scores a paltry 3 runs or more, he’s 65-9.

18. allbucdup - Jun 14, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Three thought:
    1. Congrats Ted Barrett for being the second ump to call to perfect games in your career.

2. I would take Buster Posey over any young star on any team. Yes that includes Harper and Trout.

3. Are all these perfect games the last few years more representative of the end of the steroid era or the parity in the MLB?

19. allbucdup - Jun 14, 2012 at 8:23 AM

4. Imagine what he would’ve made on the market if he didn’t sign that extension.

20. soj83 - Jun 14, 2012 at 11:00 AM

it was also umpire Ted Barrett’s second perfect game umped behind the plate.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS