Jun 14, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Brantley hit a double in the top of the 7th. The streak lives on.
2:30 PM: Things no one apart from Indians fans seemed to realize: Indians outfielder Michael Brantley has a 20-game hitting steak going. That’s tied for the longest in baseball this season and the longest Indian streak since Casey Blake hit in 26 straight in 2007. During that time Brantley is hitting .346 with 15 RBIs.
But as of this post going live, it’s in danger. The Indians are playing the Reds as we speak and, as of the bottom of the fifth, Brantley is 0 for 3. The ball is flying all over Great American Ballpark, though — the Reds are leading the Tribe 9-3 and there have been 21 hits so far — so there’s hope.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 114
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (114)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (78)