Jun 14, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
UPDATE: Brantley hit a double in the top of the 7th. The streak lives on.
2:30 PM: Things no one apart from Indians fans seemed to realize: Indians outfielder Michael Brantley has a 20-game hitting steak going. That’s tied for the longest in baseball this season and the longest Indian streak since Casey Blake hit in 26 straight in 2007. During that time Brantley is hitting .346 with 15 RBIs.
But as of this post going live, it’s in danger. The Indians are playing the Reds as we speak and, as of the bottom of the fifth, Brantley is 0 for 3. The ball is flying all over Great American Ballpark, though — the Reds are leading the Tribe 9-3 and there have been 21 hits so far — so there’s hope.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)