Jun 14, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Chavez suffered the injury Tuesday and said repeatedly that he could avoid the DL, but the Orioles decided it wasn’t worth playing short-handed in the hopes a part-time player could return sooner than 15 days.
It also didn’t help Chavez’s case that he’s hitting .162 after resurrecting his career last season with a .301 batting average and .749 OPS in 83 games for the Rangers.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 18
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 81
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 6
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)