Jun 14, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Chavez suffered the injury Tuesday and said repeatedly that he could avoid the DL, but the Orioles decided it wasn’t worth playing short-handed in the hopes a part-time player could return sooner than 15 days.
It also didn’t help Chavez’s case that he’s hitting .162 after resurrecting his career last season with a .301 batting average and .749 OPS in 83 games for the Rangers.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)