R.A. Dickey thinks that getting a no-hitter on appeal “would be a little bit cheap”

Jun 14, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

R.A. Dickey

David Lennon of Newsday spoke with R.A. Dickey this morning and asked him how he feels about the Mets appealing the official scorers decision to call the ball hit to David Wright in last night a hit instead of an error. He was pretty candid about it:

“It would be weird. I don’t know if it would be quite as satisfying. I think the asterisk beside the no-hitter would get more attention than the no-hitter, you know? Plus, you’re not pitching the eighth, ninth inning with the pressure of a no-hitter going. It would be a little bit cheap. But, for the integrity of the game, I think it’s worthy of a review, just to make sure.”

The stuff about pressure is a good point. The play in question happened in the first inning, thus taking the no-no and its attendant pressure off the table early. I bet most pitchers would agree that pitching in the late innings of a no hitter is a totally different deal.

1. chill1184 - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM

He’s right

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM

He is. Plus what good is a no-no without the on-field celebration that comes afterwards?

2. delawarephilliesfan - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:45 PM

He had me until he claimed “the integirty of the game” called for a review.

Right.

3. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Dickey is simply trying to say the right things to reporters while behind the scenes he’s probably pleading his case left and right. “But, for the integrity of the game…”

Haha….but if you still want to give me the no-no I’ll gladly take it! Ya know…for integrity purposes.

4. christos99 - Jun 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM

This dude exemplifies “class-act’

Great game Dickey!

5. stex52 - Jun 14, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I have the strong feeling that if I was stuck at a party between Dickey and Lance Berkman, I would have the time of my life. Throw in Mike Mussina and Brad Ausmus and I would probably never want to leave.

6. vallewho - Jun 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM

True Dat

7. adenzeno - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I applaud Dickey while lamenting the fact that the Mets can again embarass themselves by appealing this…they are Amazing, and I am still a fan…At least they are fun to watch again!

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win