Re-imagining the Astros uniforms

Jun 14, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT

Astros logo

Paul Lukas of Uni Watch, as he often does, asked readers to redesign the Houston Astros uniforms. And, not surprisingly given their name and past colors and iconography readers had to work with, the submissions are fantastic.

You can see the ones Lukas likes the best and some of the design flairs he highlights here.  All of the submissions are here.

My only quibble: so few of the submissions use the classic star-H logo, which is almost impossible to beat. It’s just so perfect and satisfying, and even if I’ve never totally loved the Astros uniforms overall, I can’t think of an isolated design element I like more than the old Star-H.

Although if they adopted the cap shown in this submission, I bet they’d sell a billion of them to dudes like me who watch “Deep Space Nine” and “Battlestar Galactica” on the treadmill every morning.

1. ajcardsfan - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I love the Jetson’s design the Sosa guy did, but I highly doubt I could ever take the Astro’s seriously again [Now we wait for somebody to post about, “who takes the Astro’s seriously now?”)

2. southpaw2k - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Why don’t they rename the team the Altuves?

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I’d love to see them use one of these uniforms as they switch leagues. There are some talented people out there.

4. chill1184 - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM

My favorites would be from the following;

1. Chris Pirrone
    2. Bruce A. Genthe
    3. Andrew Fitzgerald

5. stex52 - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

The cap design with the open star and streak is very similar to a cap that is already on sale around Houston and is everywhere. They would be wise to maintain at least one that approximates that. I also like the “H” over the state of Texas for a logo.

Otherwise I am much more interested in the baseball than what people are wearing.

6. samu0034 - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The “m” & “b” glove from the Brewers old (and current alt.) uni’s has no parallel in awesomeness. And that’s coming from a Twins fan who pretty much hates the Brewers.

• kopy - Jun 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM

One of the most satisfying feelings is showing the logo and pointing out the “m” & “b” to someone who doesn’t realize it, and watching their mind get blown.

7. lew24 - Jun 14, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Uniforms are not their problem…try re-imagining their team with some talent.

• stex52 - Jun 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM

That’s a pretty good definition of Jeff Luhnow’s job.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2979)