Serious code violation: Brandon Belt sat in Matt Cain’s seat during the perfecto

Jun 14, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT

Brandon Belt AP

I don’t believe in almost any superstition. There may be an exception or two I’m forgetting, but most of it is hogwash and hoodoo for the feeble-minded. And spare me your Crash Davis “if you believe you’re playing well because you’re getting laid, or because you’re not getting laid, or because you wear women’s underwear, then you *are*!” speech. Save it for someone who’s afraid to step on the foul line while walking out to the field.

But even if I don’t believe in the superstitions themselves, I do believe that such things can become accepted enough practices among a sufficient number of people that you should at least respect the beliefs of others, however misguided they may be in provenance. It’s not a matter of thinking that their violation will cause some great harm. Rather, it’s a matter of just being cool to someone and not violating a social code. I’ll note this is how I view religion too, which is why you’ll never hear me getting up in someone’s grill about what they believe as long as it’s not harming me or anyone else.

The point of all of this: if I was pitching a perfect game — in San Francisco, say — I don’t think I’d make a point to sit in the same spot in the dugout after each inning or not talk to anyone of whatever else it is that pitchers in such a situation do. It has no effect on how I’m pitching. The key would be to make sure I didn’t lose my concentration or mojo or whatever it was, and I don’t think I’d tie that to those sorts of things.

I would, however, if I were a position player on a team in which a pitcher was doing such things, make sure not to step on whatever it is he’s doing. It’s something that Brandon Belt didn’t do last night, as Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea reports:

With Matt Cain closing in on the 22nd perfect game in major league history, and the first in the Giants’ 129 years as a franchise, Belt sat down in the dugout after the seventh inning to take a deep breath.

“I sat down and Cainer just stopped and stared at me,” said Belt, whose eyes grew wide with panic. “Yeah, I guess everything was OK until I sat in his seat.”

Can you imagine the perfect game was lost right after that? Belt would probably want to go find a hole someplace in which to die.  And it would suck for all of us Belt fanboys too, because the dude is just now starting to get some regular playing time, and I would bet that the ruckus all of that would cause would be enough for Bruce Bochy to exile him to Fresno or San Jose or points even farther away.

1. ajcardsfan - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Maybe it was him sitting in that seat that caused the almost hit that Blanco dove for?!?

• tophermike - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:06 AM

except it says AFTER the 7th. that almost hit was in the 7th.

• ajcardsfan - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Bah, completely missed that, my conspiracy theory is a flop!

• Utley's Hair - Jun 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Or so you would have us believe….

2. number42is1 - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I get superstitious playing poker and watching baseball…. no idea why but its always how its been

3. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I’d love to see a pitcher with a no-hitter throw a fit in the dugout if something like that happened. I’m talking, pointing and yelling, bash a gatorade cooler with a bat, and of course throw everything containing sunflower seeds.

• niubears - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Also called “Zambranoing”

4. skerney - Jun 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Is this picture from when Trever Miller broke Belt’s wrist?

5. bengalsucker - Jun 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Sounds stupid but I do that (and I know other guys do too) when we are bowling good. If we are on it that night and can’t miss, we do the same exact thing between frames. Sit in the same seat or stand in the same spot. Continue our conversations with the same people as before. Stand at the approach the same exact way every single time before we bowl. Superstitions are in EVERY sport.

6. tomemos - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Though Belt redeemed himself by pocketing the final out ball on his way to join the scrum on the mound.

7. 11jlacy - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM

They might have sent u to the minors for a while

8. Rob Hoffmann - Jun 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I’m sure the fans here in Richmond (SF’s Double-A outpost) would be glad to see Brandon make a return visit… even if it was for Violating A No-Hit Superstition… :)

9. nerdwrecker - Jun 17, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Please, if you value your readers’ sanity on any level, learn correct grammar before writing anymore articles. I’m begging you.

• kilimanjournal - Jun 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM

nerdwrecker, why do the grammar police always make mistakes themselves? Please don’t make any more embarrassing mistakes. Check yourself and you won’t wreck yourself anymore.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3366)