Jun 14, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that there are three parties left in the running to buy the Padres:
- Gary Jabara, the founder of a Newport Beach wireless communications company;
- Steve Kaplan, principal at Oaktree Capital in Los Angeles; and
- Peter O’Malley, former owner of the Dodgers.
More so than the owners’ identities, however, I am interested in the reported sales price: $800 million. Arte Moreno bought the Angels for $180 million ten years ago. The Cubs more recently sold for around $800 million. Now the Padres, a less-successful franchise with a smaller fan base in a smaller town than either of those two teams is about to be sold for that amount the Cubs went for.
The mind kind of reels, no?
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 0
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 29
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)