Yankees, Dodgers are interested in Ryan Dempster

Jun 15, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

The Cubs seem totally focused on trading Ryan Dempster — why wouldn’t they be? — and today Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times says that two teams — the Dodgers and the Yankees — are showing interest.

We knew about the Dodgers’ interest. The Yankees is new, though obviously not surprising. Starting pitching depth seems like a big need for them, and Dempster — who has a 2.31 ERA and a 63/20 K/BB ratio in 74 innings — is clearly the best one available on the market.

1. dodger88 - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Not sure the Dodgers have the prospects to pull off a deal but if they do I could see them trying to grab both Dempster and LaHair in the same deal to shore up their starting pitching and finally replace Loney at 1B.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

dodgers are not getting him, end of story

• davidpom50 - Jun 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM

That’s a pretty boring story. It seems to miss the exposition, the rising action, the climax, and just jumps straight to the denouement. Way to support your position with facts – or even an explanation of your opinion. Is it because the Dodgers don’t really want him? Because they don’t have the prospects to pull off the deal? Because the price is too high? Because Theo just really doesn’t like Ned? Because Ned is too dumb to dial a touchtone telephone? C’mon, help us out!

3. niubears - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM

As a Cub fan, this is gonna be the most exciting time of the year. It’ll be even more exciting once I hear Soriano trade rumors that are legit.

• deadeyedesign23 - Jun 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Don’t tease me

• Daniel Lawson - Jun 16, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Harry from ESPN1000 said he’s got a inside source that he should be gone by All Star Break

4. number42is1 - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I cannot see the Yanks getting him. not sure they have enough to trade. Plus its short term, right? i mean they Have Pineda and the 2 B’s. they already got rid of their best hitting prospect.

• uyf1950 - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Yes the Yankees have Pineda coming back hopefully pretty much at the start of the 2013 season. As for the comment about the “2 B’s” One B I think is a given “Banuelos”. The 2nd “B” Betances I wouldn’t count on him. He’s getting a little long in the tooth at 24 and he still can’t seem to get his control issues under control (no pun intended). As for Dempster, yes I think it would be short term and considering his age 35 this past May and his current salary even a short term buy is going to cost some team about $4MM+ for just about 2 to 3 months. I don’t see the Cubs getting a whole lot at least not from the Yankees. That’s just my opinion.
      Again this is just my opinion but depending on where the Marlins stand come the end of July I can see the Yankees having serious interest in Anibal Sanchez if they (Marlins) decide to become sellers. Anibal is a FA in 2013 and should be less expensive if the Yankees wanted to sign him long term than Hamels or Greinke should they make it to FA. Just my opinion.

5. hoopmatch - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I would think the Rangers would be interested, too.

6. plmathfoto - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

If he goes to the Yankees maybe he’ll get some of those wins back that he’s been hosed out of by the cubs lack of bullpen & hitting, Dempster has been unreal this year

7. protectthishouse54 - Jun 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Not sure that would be a smart move by the Yankees. You can always use pitching depth, but the rotation is just now starting to settle itself. If they pick up Dempster, who do they bump from the rotation?

Not CC. Not Pettite. Not Kuroda who has been getting stronger and stronger. Probably not Hughes because of the hype from 5 years ago (plus, do they really want to jerk him around between starting and the pen again?). That leaves Nova, but all he does is win and that would really piss me off.

8. yankeehatersaredelusional - Jun 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

can you wait till the yankees rotation era for june goes above 2 before you consider starting pitching a need?

9. rico7207 - Jun 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Just getting away from Marmol as his reliever makes him a hall of famer. How in the world does Marmol still have a job anywhere. I would not even let this guy be a Walmart greeter.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win