Jun 15, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
The unforeseen consqeunce of the rise of no-hitters and perfect games throughout baseball; the simultaneous rise of celebration-related injuries.
Two weeks after Mets reliever Ramon Ramirez was hurt following Johan Santana’s no-hitter, Aubrey Huff has joined him on the disabled list with a knee injury sustained celebrating Matt Cain’s perfect game Wednesday night.
An MRI on Huff’s knee Thursday revealed a sprained right knee that was expected to keep him out at least several days. As poorly as he’s hitting, there wasn’t much reason for the Giants to play a man short while waiting on his return. Huff is hitting just .155 with one homer and five RBI in 58 at-bats this season.
Called up in his place was veteran outfielder Justin Christian, who was hitting .364/.432/.540 in 250 at-bats for Triple-A Fresno. The Giants bypassed the recently demoted Brett Pill, suggesting that they’ll commit to Brandon Belt at first base for at least the next couple of weeks. After going nearly 2 1/2 months without one, Belt has homered in three straight games.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)