Jun 15, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
The unforeseen consqeunce of the rise of no-hitters and perfect games throughout baseball; the simultaneous rise of celebration-related injuries.
Two weeks after Mets reliever Ramon Ramirez was hurt following Johan Santana’s no-hitter, Aubrey Huff has joined him on the disabled list with a knee injury sustained celebrating Matt Cain’s perfect game Wednesday night.
An MRI on Huff’s knee Thursday revealed a sprained right knee that was expected to keep him out at least several days. As poorly as he’s hitting, there wasn’t much reason for the Giants to play a man short while waiting on his return. Huff is hitting just .155 with one homer and five RBI in 58 at-bats this season.
Called up in his place was veteran outfielder Justin Christian, who was hitting .364/.432/.540 in 250 at-bats for Triple-A Fresno. The Giants bypassed the recently demoted Brett Pill, suggesting that they’ll commit to Brandon Belt at first base for at least the next couple of weeks. After going nearly 2 1/2 months without one, Belt has homered in three straight games.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 17
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 55
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)