Jun 15, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Add another name to the list of first-rounders signing early, as the Cardinals and No. 19 pick Michael Wacha have agreed to a deal.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the starting pitcher from Texas A&M will get $1.9 million, which is the exact slot bonus for the pick.
Baseball America ranked Wacha as the eighth-best player in the class and ESPN.com rated him 15th, so the Cardinals did well to snag the 6-foot-6 right-hander who many considered the best college pitcher in the draft behind top-10 selections Mark Appel, Kyle Zimmer, and Kevin Gausman.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)