Jun 15, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
The Marlins were given quite the scare this afternoon, as Hanley Ramirez was hit in the nose by a batted ball which bounced off a batting cage screen in the cage at Tropicana Field.
Ramirez was scratched from tonight’s lineup against the Rays as a result of the incident, but Marlins’ manager Ozzie Guillen told Coley Harvey of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that the injury doesn’t appear to be serious.
“He’s kind of dizzy right now,” Guillen said of Ramirez about two hours before Friday’s first pitch. “He should be ready (Saturday). The trainers don’t think it’s anything big, but they want to wait for the doctor to see how it is.”
After being limited to just 92 games in 2011 due to a shoulder injury which eventually required surgery, Ramirez is hitting .259/.336/.461 with 11 home runs, 37 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .797 OPS through through 63 games this season. He’s grounded into 10 double plays, which is tied with Cubs’ outfielder Alfonso Soriano for the National League lead.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)