Jun 15, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
Jason Bay just can’t catch a break.
Bay, who recently returned from the disabled list after fracturing his rib while attempting to make a diving catch, left tonight’s game against the Reds in the top of the second inning after trying to make a diving catch on a fly ball hit by Jay Bruce.
Bay came up empty-handed on his diving attempt and slammed his head and neck into the left field wall in the process. He eventually got to his feet and made a relay throw to third base, but Bruce was able to scamper all the way around the bases for an inside-the-park home run.
Bay was visited by Mets manager Terry Collins and a team trainer before leaving the game. He appeared to be very woozy while walking off the field and the Mets just announced that he is being looked at for a possible concussion. This is a very troubling development, as Bay missed the final two months of the 2010 season with post-concussion symptoms after crashing into the left field fence in Los Angeles.
Bay is hitting .187 (14-for-75) in 22 games this year and has a disappointing .246/.330/.385 batting line to go along with 22 homers and 110 RBI in 240 games as a member of the Mets.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)