Jun 15, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
Jason Bay just can’t catch a break.
Bay, who recently returned from the disabled list after fracturing his rib while attempting to make a diving catch, left tonight’s game against the Reds in the top of the second inning after trying to make a diving catch on a fly ball hit by Jay Bruce.
Bay came up empty-handed on his diving attempt and slammed his head and neck into the left field wall in the process. He eventually got to his feet and made a relay throw to third base, but Bruce was able to scamper all the way around the bases for an inside-the-park home run.
Bay was visited by Mets manager Terry Collins and a team trainer before leaving the game. He appeared to be very woozy while walking off the field and the Mets just announced that he is being looked at for a possible concussion. This is a very troubling development, as Bay missed the final two months of the 2010 season with post-concussion symptoms after crashing into the left field fence in Los Angeles.
Bay is hitting .187 (14-for-75) in 22 games this year and has a disappointing .246/.330/.385 batting line to go along with 22 homers and 110 RBI in 240 games as a member of the Mets.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)