Jim Thome is on fire

Jun 15, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies Jim Thome stands in the on-deck circle before batting against the Minnesota Twins in Minneapolis

The Phillies have ruled out the possibility of Jim Thome playing first base this year. They may want to reconsider that. Or at least try to  figure out a way to get his bat into the lineup after interleague play is over and he can’t DH anymore, because the guy is on fire.

Thome hit a three-run homer last night against the Twins.  Over the last six games — all interleague games in AL parks — he’s hitting 11 for 24 with three home runs and 13 runs batted in.

I suppose he’d be attractive to an AL team with DH problems at this point, even if he wouldn’t bring much in return at his age. Kind of a shame that the man who, more than almost anyone else, was born to DH can’t DH every day in what may very well be the last year of his career.

1. coldyron - Jun 15, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Get him back to the Tribe!

2. heyblueyoustink - Jun 15, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Old Man Lumber. Nice piece, Craig.

3. ndnut - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

That was an absolutely MAMMOTH shot over the Batters’ Eye and onto the concourse in CF a couple days ago. We still love you in Minnesota Jim!

4. Old Gator - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM

This is one of the big reasons why the DH is such a disgrace. It’s for one-half ballplayers, a way of hiding or avoiding the deficiencies of ballplayers whose athleticism has deserted them in their old age. It’s like the front porches at the nursing homes in St. Petersburg. It’s a rocking chair that leaves your hands free. It’s a mammoth hunt. It’s boring. It sucks.

• Jeremy T - Jun 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I see your point, but I’d argue getting to see one of the most talented hitters in the game have an extra few years to do what he does best is anything but boring. However, this dead horse has already been thoroughly beaten, so I won’t pursue the argument any further.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I think they’re paying fifty cents a pound for dead horses over at Alpo. Let’s cash in – help me carry it and I’ll split the take with you.

5. Lukehart80 - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I was at a charity fundraiser Sunday night (for a foster care organization) at which Paul Konerko was emcee; he went out of his way to say he hopes the White Sox bring Thome back this summer.

Seeing as that would require Adam Dunn to play the outfield more often though, it seems unlikely. In any event, I hope he lands back in the A.L. somehow, so that he can play more often.

• chew1985 - Jun 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM

The Phillies are out of it, so Thome will be available. The scouts know he can’t play the field with any regularity. Keep your fingers crossed. He may be coming your way.

• Lukehart80 - Jun 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I’m actually an Indians fan (but live in Chicago), I’d love to see him return to Cleveland, but last year felt like his swan song there, and I can’t see him going back there, because I can’t see the Indians being in contention with their starting rotation being what it is. I guess having him here in Chicago where I could watch him play would be the next best thing.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM

guy should have retired years ago

• Lukehart80 - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Why???

In 2012 he was one of the best hitters in baseball and he has continued to be well above league average since then.

• lazlosother - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Because being the grand old man of the game really sucks, right?

• Jeremy T - Jun 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I can’t even imagine what you must think of Moyer

• Utley's Hair - Jun 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Don’t even try imagining what dirtyharry thinks about anything—it’ll make you lose IQ points.

7. ultimatefrisbee88 - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I have the solution.

Jim pinch hits and leads off an inning. He plays 2 innings in the field. There is a decent chance he’d get to hit a second time.

• deepstblu - Jun 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM

He starts and bats third in every road game, then comes out for a defensive replacement.

8. marshawnlynchlookslikepredator - Jun 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Any amount of Thome is good for Phillies fans. He is probably the most loved athlete in the city. We just want the big man to stay healthy. Everybody loves Thome.

9. localbandhero - Jun 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM

He’ll be in the HOF as an Indian.

10. localbandhero - Jun 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM

And it’s hard to imagine anyone disliking his “awe shucks” personality and his monstrous bat. I still remember him blasting one into the scoreboard in Cleveland.

11. bleed4philly - Jun 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Cholly needs to alternate Thome at 1st base, I thought that’s what they were going to do when they got him to fill in for Howard. Always the hard way with this team.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2837)