Jun 15, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT
The Phillies have ruled out the possibility of Jim Thome playing first base this year. They may want to reconsider that. Or at least try to figure out a way to get his bat into the lineup after interleague play is over and he can’t DH anymore, because the guy is on fire.
Thome hit a three-run homer last night against the Twins. Over the last six games — all interleague games in AL parks — he’s hitting 11 for 24 with three home runs and 13 runs batted in.
I suppose he’d be attractive to an AL team with DH problems at this point, even if he wouldn’t bring much in return at his age. Kind of a shame that the man who, more than almost anyone else, was born to DH can’t DH every day in what may very well be the last year of his career.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)