Jun 15, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
Franklin Morales will make the start in his place, which is interesting because Morales has been strictly a reliever since the Red Sox acquired him from the Rockies in May of last year. He’s pitched well for Boston, throwing 56 innings with a 3.38 ERA and 51/19 K/BB ratio, but all 58 appearances have come in relief.
In fact, the last time Morales started a big-league game was for the Rockies on April 21, 2009. He lasted just two innings that day and has been a full-time reliever ever since. Morales is unlikely to pitch deep into the game Sunday even if he’s doing well, although he has gone three or more innings in an appearance twice within the past two weeks, throwing 52 and 36 pitches.
Beckett dealt with some shoulder/lat muscle problems last month, but he’s thrown at least seven innings in six consecutive starts and has a 2.68 ERA during that span.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)