Josh Beckett will miss Sunday start with shoulder injury

Jun 15, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox Beckett pitches against Seattle Mariners during their MLB baseball game in Boston

Shortly after the final out of today’s loss to the Cubs the Red Sox announced that Josh Beckett has been scratched from his scheduled Sunday start due to shoulder inflammation.

Franklin Morales will make the start in his place, which is interesting because Morales has been strictly a reliever since the Red Sox acquired him from the Rockies in May of last year. He’s pitched well for Boston, throwing 56 innings with a 3.38 ERA and 51/19 K/BB ratio, but all 58 appearances have come in relief.

In fact, the last time Morales started a big-league game was for the Rockies on April 21, 2009. He lasted just two innings that day and has been a full-time reliever ever since. Morales is unlikely to pitch deep into the game Sunday even if he’s doing well, although he has gone three or more innings in an appearance twice within the past two weeks, throwing 52 and 36 pitches.

Beckett dealt with some shoulder/lat muscle problems last month, but he’s thrown at least seven innings in six consecutive starts and has a 2.68 ERA during that span.

1. mybrunoblog - Jun 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Fortunately this will allow him to make his 7AM tee time Monday morning.

2. randygnyc - Jun 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I don’t care to look, but I warned that Pedroia refusing to go on the DL was more about his selfishness and desire to martyr himself than it was about acting in the best interests of the Sox. Like I said, I won’t bother looking, but isn’t he like 3 for, what 50 at bats since he declared himself ready to play? Another 0-fer today.

• dan1111 - Jun 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Don’t forget that you don’t actually know what’s going through his head.

• bloodysock - Jun 15, 2012 at 6:50 PM

If something is going on in his head he needs to deal with it. It doesn’t hide the fact that he had another 0-fer today and ended the fifth, seventh and ninth innings. Seven RBI’s in his last 25 games isn’t cutting it.

• dan1111 - Jun 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM

The point was that Randy claimed that Pedroia was acting out of “selfishness” and a “desire to martyr himself”. Actually, selfishness and a desire to martyr oneself are exact opposites, but the point was that we don’t really know what Pedroia’s motivations are. Making these sort of accusations is unfair.

3. dan1111 - Jun 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Wait ‘Til Next Year Fever is tearing through Boston. Rejoice: No more stress of tracking every game lost or gained in the standings! No more sitting at the computer in the middle of the night so you can click at just the right moment to buy tickets! No more paying the scalpers just to get a standing room “seat”! No more putting everything into terrible fake Boston accents. You can once again “park” your “car” if you want to. And maybe, just maybe, there will be no more truck day.

4. crispybasil - Jun 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Hope it’s nothing serious considering the way he’s been pitching.

5. randygnyc - Jun 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Dan, I understand your point. It seemed pretty obvious that it was a significant injury. Any torn ligament is. Now, I get it that he can’t injure it any worse, but it’s about being effective. It was clear then, that they could rehab or play. If a player isn’t effective, or can’t be, it hurts the team. If he was putting team first, he’d sit himself on the DL. But he didn’t, and I speculated then, as I do know, that by doing so, he’d be putting himself before the team. That’s selfish in my book.

I don’t know his stats. Since the injury, though, it’s as if every time I see the box score, he’s got an 0-fer. I don’t watch the games, so I don’t know if he’s stranding runners left and right, either. Which would be worse.

• dan1111 - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM

You are right that he has been bad since he came back. He’s hitting .167 for June. It’s only nine games, but it is worrisome. However, it’s hard to judge whether he knew he was not ready to come back. Playing through pain is a part of baseball, and lots of players can still be effective when not at 100%. The Sox, presumably, thought he was ready, or they would not have let him play.

6. patsandsox - Jun 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM

They have the worst trainers and drs in the major leagues. They have so many injuires its almost funny now. Not only was the starting outfield on the dl, but the second string outfield too. That is unheard of as far as I know. The endless problems with the pitchers, and I also think Dustin Pedrioa should be on the DL. He is my favortie player but its clear its affecting his performance but somehow the Red Sox cant figure that out. What happened to them? Does ownership just not care anymore? Its really sad trying to figure it out. At work we have started a pool on which Red Sox will be on the DL next

7. randygnyc - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I think pedroia has already demonstrated his willingness to come back from injury too soon. Negligently in fact (I remember him taking ground balls in a boot. Much to the chagrin of mgmt). Because of such past bad judgement, you’d think the R’S would rely on the Dr’s instead. Nope.

8. cereal blogger - Jun 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Does this count as an off day ? (“I Spend My Off-Days The Way I Want”)

9. mudhead123 - Jun 16, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Beckett injured? No way!

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3725)