Mark Grace calls Jason Kubel’s home run

Jun 15, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

crystal ball

I’m guessing Mark Grace’s prediction of Jason Kubel hitting a homer was more a function of optimistic homerism than it was actual insight or clairvoyance, but it’s still pretty cool.

And I bet Grace was absolutely insufferable about it for the rest of the night too.  As would I be. Really, I’d be rubbing that stuff in everyone’s face all evening and demanding that they give me kudos and regards.

1. dl3mk3 - Jun 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Although he regularly makes calls and fails, Blyleven called a home run by Trevor Plouffe a week or so ago, prior to the at bat he called the Home Run and even the type of pitch and location. Was pretty cool.

• kopy - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM

And it was his partner Dick Bremer that called Willingham’s walkoff 2-run HR against the A’s one pitch prior to it happening.

2. heyblueyoustink - Jun 15, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I called a chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream purchase by a fat kid in a convenience store once; my friend had bet on the big gulp.

3. danaking - Jun 15, 2012 at 8:47 AM

years ago my then ten-year-old daughter and I were killing time in the TV department of a department store, watching an Orioles game when her stepmother decided she was ready to go, come on, I mean now. The Orioles had the bases loaded with Cal Ripken up (my daughter’s favorite player), so i said, “Wait a minute while Ripken hits a grand slam.” Two pitched later: BOOM! The look on the kid’s face was priceless.

Several years later, my now teen-aged daughter and i were at an Orioles game when Ramon Hernandez came up. The PA system played some peppy salsa music for his at bat, and I did a stupid white man chair dance which, being a teen-ager, she requested that i stop immediately. I told her I couldn’t, the Os were behind and had two men on, this was my rally dance. Hernandez hit the next pitch out. I got that look again, and she asked me to do it again later in the game. i told her no, it only works for Hernandez.

Blind, stupid luck both times, but lots of fun.

• chumthumper - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM

And the memories of those moments with your kid are priceless.

• danaking - Jun 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yes, they are. I had a ball writing that comment, remembering.

• pmcenroe - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM

When I was in HS my brothers and I skipped out of class to catch the Twins play the Red Sox in Spring Training. It was late in the game but early enough in the schedule were all the subs were in by 5th. Tom Prince the Twins backup catcher comes up in the 8th, while this single dad is trying drag his 3 boys to the exits. The stands were pretty empty at that point but they were close enough to hear the dad say “ok we’ll stay if this guy hits a homerun.” Two pitches later Prince (24 career HR in 1300+ PA) hits an absolute bomb. The kids a jumping up and down going nuts and the dad goes “Jesus Christ we’re going!” and the pulls the kids out kicking and screaming. i love baseball

4. 18thstreet - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I called an Ortiz walk-off versus the Indians. Maybe 2006, game at Fenway. Rookie closer.

Probably a 50 percent chance I’m getting at least one of those facts wrong. Ah, baseball.

• Victor's Secret - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:26 AM

No, it was against Fausto Carmona on 7/31/06. I remember that one so clearly. It felt like everyone in the park knew it was going to happen, and then it did. For a few years, David Ortiz was the best hitter I ever watched play. I miss those days…

Also, http://joyofsox.blogspot.com/2011/12/david-ortiz-in-walkoff-situations-v-3.html

• 18thstreet - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Ah, yes. I remember being in SHOCK that Wedge was leaving a rookie closer out there at Fenway against Ortiz. Malpractice.

5. Old Gator - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM

In a previous incarnation, I predicted that the Earth would be struck by an immense meteorite somewhere in the vicinity of Yucatan.

Well son of a bitch!

• papalurchdxb - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM

previous incarnation my foot, you were in KG 1 when that happened OG!

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM

And already getting high.

6. Old Gator - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I love Gracie. He never reminds Jim Rome to stop beating his wife.

7. yankeefanincolo - Jun 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

In 1987 I was at a Yankee game in Kansas City. It was late in the game, the Yanks were leading but the Royals were threatening. Cecilio Guante and some other reliever were warming up, Lou Piniella came out of the dugout to visit the mound. I’m screaming at the top of my lungs, “Don’t bring in Guante!” but that was the call. I turned to my wife and said, “Well, that’s the ballgame.” Sure enough, Guante lost the game.

Of course anybody could have predicted that… Guante STUNK!!!

8. azvikefan - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I watched the game. Grace was not insufferable Craig. He actually said less about it than Sutton.

• 18thstreet - Jun 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I saw some of it, too. He spent a lot more time talking about the giant hotdogs they sell.

9. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jun 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

My one friend calls homeruns all the time… of course, it’s him yelling “gone” on just about every pitch to a decent hitter. So if you ignore the times he’s wrong, it’s something, right???

10. snowbirdgothic - Jun 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

The announcers actually spent most of the game horripilatin’ over some guy in too-short cutoff shorts in the stands, snarfing down one of those 24″ $26 “Boomstick” hotdogs they serve in Arlington. Eventually, said dude had to get up and dash for the necessaries, his overstuffed pockets swinging free below the shortsline as he ran for the concourse.

The horror, the horror….

• 18thstreet - Jun 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM

It was horrifying.

• azvikefan - Jun 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Glad I missed that part of the broadcast. I was switching between D-backs and the Twins game.

11. mariner425 - Jun 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM

The best call ever was a few years ago. Mike Blowers before the game called the batter, inning, pitch count, and type of pitch. It was insane. Forgot who the batter was.

• oltanya - Jun 16, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Matt Tuiasosopo. He even called where the homer was going, and just barely missed which deck it would land in.

12. wizzrdofaz - Jun 16, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Wow…insufferable? Not even close. Grace was humble in the extreme. He saw it for what it was, just dumb luck. Now, his cohort, Daron Sutton, has made himself insufferable…well, he’s already insufferable, but now he’s worse. He won’t shut up about it.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto