Jun 15, 2012, 11:54 PM EDT
Jose Valverde has been OK in save situations. Tie games, well, they don’t stay tied for very long.
Valverde was charged with six runs — one earned — in two-thirds of an inning Friday as the Rockies broke out with eight runs in the 10th inning and beat the Tigers 12-4, snapping an eight-game losing streak.
It was the most runs scored in an extra inning since the Angels scored nine in the 13th against the Orioles on Aug. 16, 2009.
Valverde dug his own hole tonight. Eric Young Jr. attempted a sacrifice bunt after Michael Cuddyer singled to lead off the 10th, and Valverde threw the ball away, giving the Rockies runners on first and third. The Tigers were able to cut down the go-ahead run at home plate on another grounder afterwards, but Wilin Rosario broke the tie with a two-run single.
Valverde remained in after that, but he wishes he didn’t. He was finally replaced after a walk, a sac fly and an RBI single. Luis Marte took over and immediately gave up back-to-back homers to Carlos Gonzalez and Michael Cuddyer, scoring the final four runs of the frame.
The Tigers fell to 30-34 with the loss.
The Rockies had been 0-9 against American League teams this season.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)