Jun 15, 2012, 11:54 PM EDT
Jose Valverde has been OK in save situations. Tie games, well, they don’t stay tied for very long.
Valverde was charged with six runs — one earned — in two-thirds of an inning Friday as the Rockies broke out with eight runs in the 10th inning and beat the Tigers 12-4, snapping an eight-game losing streak.
It was the most runs scored in an extra inning since the Angels scored nine in the 13th against the Orioles on Aug. 16, 2009.
Valverde dug his own hole tonight. Eric Young Jr. attempted a sacrifice bunt after Michael Cuddyer singled to lead off the 10th, and Valverde threw the ball away, giving the Rockies runners on first and third. The Tigers were able to cut down the go-ahead run at home plate on another grounder afterwards, but Wilin Rosario broke the tie with a two-run single.
Valverde remained in after that, but he wishes he didn’t. He was finally replaced after a walk, a sac fly and an RBI single. Luis Marte took over and immediately gave up back-to-back homers to Carlos Gonzalez and Michael Cuddyer, scoring the final four runs of the frame.
The Tigers fell to 30-34 with the loss.
The Rockies had been 0-9 against American League teams this season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)