Jun 15, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
Roy Halladay still has a long way to go in his recovery from a strained right lat muscle, but he took a small step in the right direction today.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Halladay played catch with Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee this afternoon at Rogers Centre. It was his first time throwing since being shut down after leaving a start against the Cardinals on May 27.
Halladay made a total of 30 tosses from a distance of 60 feet and plans to do the same Sunday.
“I felt good,” he said. “This is one of the steps. It was good. The other [steps] have been good so far, so we’ll go from there.”
Halladay was originally expected to be shut down for three whole weeks, so he’s actually a couple days ahead of schedule right now. Barring any setbacks this weekend, the veteran right-hander plans to pick up the intensity of his throwing on Tuesday.
The original timetable had Halladay missing 6-8 weeks, so he could rejoin the Phillies’ rotation by the end of July if he can remain on schedule.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 34
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 12
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 65
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games