Jun 15, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
Some random unemployed blogger is hurling accusations at Mike Piazza. The claim: it’s a grand conspiracy that his book is going to come out after the Hall of Fame election results this winter. Because it clearly will have steroid-use admissions in it and once he’s already elected to the Hall of Fame there will be nothing anyone can do about it:
Maybe Simon & Schuster has innocently planned the Piazza publication for soon after the announcement for marketing purposes, but it might just as easily have agreed to a post-election publication to insure that the book would not keep Piazza out of the Hall.
If, on the other hand, the book includes a steroids admission, all I can say is shame on Piazza and his publisher. With that possibility in mind, though, the voters would be wise to withhold their votes from Piazza until a future election. He will have 14 more chances.
Because it’s so STRANGE for a baseball book to come out in February! I mean, apart from the fact that every single baseball book ever has been released to coincide with pitchers and catchers reporting, this smacks of sinister intent!
Oh well, Chass is gonna Chass. He’s been obliquely accusing Piazza of being a steroids user for years now, claiming res ipsa loquitur regarding Piazza back acne he once witnessed in the clubhouse. Never mind that dermatologists do not agree with Mr. Chass that back acne he witnessed is dispositive of anything.
None of which is to say that Chass is wrong about this. It’s entirely possible that Mike Piazza took steroids. It’s entirely possible that his book is going to talk about it. But if Chass is right about it he’s just guessing here. If he had something more than a hunch and a guess, he’d report it. What would stop him?
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 13
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 22
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)