Jun 15, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
This might be the end of the road for Man-Ram.
This comes as surprising news, but perhaps it shouldn’t be. Ramirez was eligible to return from his 50-game PED suspension at the end of May, but the A’s kept him with Triple-A Sacramento because they weren’t satisfied with his production. The 40-year-old was then bothered by hamstring tightness. He has turned things around a bit recently, hitting safely in six straight games, but he hasn’t shown any of the power we’ve seen from him in the past.
Ramirez ended his stint with the the River Cats with a .302/.348/.349 batting line in 69 plate appearances. He collected three doubles and zero homers while posting a 17/5 K/BB ratio.
UPDATE: Courtesy of Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, here’s a statement from Ramirez’s agents at Praver Shapiro Sports Management:
“Manny believes he has demonstrated that he is ready to return to the major leagues. However, given that the Athletics could not give Manny any assurance that they plan to promote him in the immediate future he asked for his release. Manny thanks the Athletics for providing him with this opportunity.”
The Athletics enter tonight’s action dead-last in the majors with a .224 batting average. If they aren’t willing to give Manny a shot, what does that tell you?
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 0
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 35
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)