Jun 15, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
This might be the end of the road for Man-Ram.
This comes as surprising news, but perhaps it shouldn’t be. Ramirez was eligible to return from his 50-game PED suspension at the end of May, but the A’s kept him with Triple-A Sacramento because they weren’t satisfied with his production. The 40-year-old was then bothered by hamstring tightness. He has turned things around a bit recently, hitting safely in six straight games, but he hasn’t shown any of the power we’ve seen from him in the past.
Ramirez ended his stint with the the River Cats with a .302/.348/.349 batting line in 69 plate appearances. He collected three doubles and zero homers while posting a 17/5 K/BB ratio.
UPDATE: Courtesy of Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, here’s a statement from Ramirez’s agents at Praver Shapiro Sports Management:
“Manny believes he has demonstrated that he is ready to return to the major leagues. However, given that the Athletics could not give Manny any assurance that they plan to promote him in the immediate future he asked for his release. Manny thanks the Athletics for providing him with this opportunity.”
The Athletics enter tonight’s action dead-last in the majors with a .224 batting average. If they aren’t willing to give Manny a shot, what does that tell you?
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 8
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)