Jun 15, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
This might be the end of the road for Man-Ram.
This comes as surprising news, but perhaps it shouldn’t be. Ramirez was eligible to return from his 50-game PED suspension at the end of May, but the A’s kept him with Triple-A Sacramento because they weren’t satisfied with his production. The 40-year-old was then bothered by hamstring tightness. He has turned things around a bit recently, hitting safely in six straight games, but he hasn’t shown any of the power we’ve seen from him in the past.
Ramirez ended his stint with the the River Cats with a .302/.348/.349 batting line in 69 plate appearances. He collected three doubles and zero homers while posting a 17/5 K/BB ratio.
UPDATE: Courtesy of Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, here’s a statement from Ramirez’s agents at Praver Shapiro Sports Management:
“Manny believes he has demonstrated that he is ready to return to the major leagues. However, given that the Athletics could not give Manny any assurance that they plan to promote him in the immediate future he asked for his release. Manny thanks the Athletics for providing him with this opportunity.”
The Athletics enter tonight’s action dead-last in the majors with a .224 batting average. If they aren’t willing to give Manny a shot, what does that tell you?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)