Jun 15, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
This might be the end of the road for Man-Ram.
This comes as surprising news, but perhaps it shouldn’t be. Ramirez was eligible to return from his 50-game PED suspension at the end of May, but the A’s kept him with Triple-A Sacramento because they weren’t satisfied with his production. The 40-year-old was then bothered by hamstring tightness. He has turned things around a bit recently, hitting safely in six straight games, but he hasn’t shown any of the power we’ve seen from him in the past.
Ramirez ended his stint with the the River Cats with a .302/.348/.349 batting line in 69 plate appearances. He collected three doubles and zero homers while posting a 17/5 K/BB ratio.
UPDATE: Courtesy of Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, here’s a statement from Ramirez’s agents at Praver Shapiro Sports Management:
“Manny believes he has demonstrated that he is ready to return to the major leagues. However, given that the Athletics could not give Manny any assurance that they plan to promote him in the immediate future he asked for his release. Manny thanks the Athletics for providing him with this opportunity.”
The Athletics enter tonight’s action dead-last in the majors with a .224 batting average. If they aren’t willing to give Manny a shot, what does that tell you?
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)