Jun 15, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that the Blue Jays are “particularly interested” in Justin Morneau. Worth noting that no one has reported that the Twins are particularly interested in trading him, but I suppose these things gotta start someplace.
As for the Jays or anyone else interested in Morneau: his power is OK as he has ten homers and is slugging .489, but he’s also hitting a mere .241 with a .313 OBP overall, suggesting he’s nailing mistakes but not much else. He’s hammering righties, but lefties are like kryptonite to him: he’s 6 for 62 against them. And he’s owed $14 million in 2013. Not sure that’s an attractive gamble for anyone.
And while we’re on the subject, here’s a feature about Morneau from Jeff Passan, outlining his struggles and his hope to regain his past form.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 119
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 78
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 28
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (116)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)