Jun 15, 2012, 1:32 PM EST
Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that the Blue Jays are “particularly interested” in Justin Morneau. Worth noting that no one has reported that the Twins are particularly interested in trading him, but I suppose these things gotta start someplace.
As for the Jays or anyone else interested in Morneau: his power is OK as he has ten homers and is slugging .489, but he’s also hitting a mere .241 with a .313 OBP overall, suggesting he’s nailing mistakes but not much else. He’s hammering righties, but lefties are like kryptonite to him: he’s 6 for 62 against them. And he’s owed $14 million in 2013. Not sure that’s an attractive gamble for anyone.
And while we’re on the subject, here’s a feature about Morneau from Jeff Passan, outlining his struggles and his hope to regain his past form.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)