Jun 15, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Sure, some people think going out on a Friday night sounds like fun, but I’m here to offer a far more exciting alternative (assuming you have the MLB Extra Innings package or MLB.tv): Clayton Kershaw versus Chris Sale.
Not only are two of the best young pitchers in baseball facing off in some late-night, interleague, southpaw action from Los Angeles, the great Vin Scully will be announcing the game. It doesn’t get much better than that without leaving your house.
• Kershaw has followed up his Cy Young-winning 2011 campaign by throwing 88 innings with a 2.65 ERA, .213 opponents’ batting average, and 81/21 K/BB ratio at age 24.
• Sale has transitioned beautifully from the bullpen to the rotation with an AL-best 2.05 ERA and 76/18 K/BB ratio in 75 innings at age 23.
• Neither team was pegged as division favorites coming into the season, yet the Dodgers have the best record in baseball at 40-27 and the White Sox lead the AL Central at 34-29.
• And of course Scully is the greatest announcer of all time.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)