Jun 15, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
Sure, some people think going out on a Friday night sounds like fun, but I’m here to offer a far more exciting alternative (assuming you have the MLB Extra Innings package or MLB.tv): Clayton Kershaw versus Chris Sale.
Not only are two of the best young pitchers in baseball facing off in some late-night, interleague, southpaw action from Los Angeles, the great Vin Scully will be announcing the game. It doesn’t get much better than that without leaving your house.
• Kershaw has followed up his Cy Young-winning 2011 campaign by throwing 88 innings with a 2.65 ERA, .213 opponents’ batting average, and 81/21 K/BB ratio at age 24.
• Sale has transitioned beautifully from the bullpen to the rotation with an AL-best 2.05 ERA and 76/18 K/BB ratio in 75 innings at age 23.
• Neither team was pegged as division favorites coming into the season, yet the Dodgers have the best record in baseball at 40-27 and the White Sox lead the AL Central at 34-29.
• And of course Scully is the greatest announcer of all time.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)