What to watch tonight: Clayton Kershaw vs. Chris Sale, with Vin Scully on the mic

Jun 15, 2012, 2:48 PM EST

What-to-Watch

Sure, some people think going out on a Friday night sounds like fun, but I’m here to offer a far more exciting alternative (assuming you have the MLB Extra Innings package or MLB.tv): Clayton Kershaw versus Chris Sale.

Not only are two of the best young pitchers in baseball facing off in some late-night, interleague, southpaw action from Los Angeles, the great Vin Scully will be announcing the game. It doesn’t get much better than that without leaving your house.

• Kershaw has followed up his Cy Young-winning 2011 campaign by throwing 88 innings with a 2.65 ERA, .213 opponents’ batting average, and 81/21 K/BB ratio at age 24.

• Sale has transitioned beautifully from the bullpen to the rotation with an AL-best 2.05 ERA and 76/18 K/BB ratio in 75 innings at age 23.

• Neither team was pegged as division favorites coming into the season, yet the Dodgers have the best record in baseball at 40-27 and the White Sox lead the AL Central at 34-29.

• And of course Scully is the greatest announcer of all time.

1. danaking - Jun 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I have mlb.tv. Sometimes I turn on the Dodgers game just so Vin can chill me out for a few minutes before bed.

• ajcardsfan - Jun 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Vin Sculley = Great Step-Announcer for everybody that isn’t a Dodger’s fan. Without Jack Buck for us Cardinals fans, it’s nice to have somebody that can still tell us a story.

2. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jun 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Living in Illinois, I’ll have to settle for Hawk and Stoney. I actually like those guys, although I get why many don’t care for Hawk.

I’m also not suggesting Hawk and Stone are better, but I’ve also never been overly enamored with Dodger broadcasts with Scully alone on the call. He’s very good, but I generally prefer the dynamic of a two-man booth. Sometimes hearing the same voice for three or more hours can make me a bit drowsy.

3. seeinred87 - Jun 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Ernie Harwell>Vin Scully

It’s close though.

• ratflop - Jun 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I won’t give you a thumbs down because Ernie was awesome – just slightly less so then Vin.

4. maxt75 - Jun 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Vin Scully, by far, is the best announcer in MLB. Just as danaking said, I too, turn Vin on just to listen to him. He always does his homework and always has interesting information on players young and old.
    Can’t believe he will be 85 years old in November.

• davidpom50 - Jun 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM

He’s the best sports announcer ever, period. Not just MLB.

5. randygnyc - Jun 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM

His voice brings back great memories of my childhood, listening to him broadcast yanks dodgers world series. I have MLB.tv and listen to most of their home games because of him. This is a great match up and is like dessert to my Yankees entree against the nats.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester