Jun 16, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
After Antonio Bastardo gave up one run on two hits in an inning of work Wednesday night against the Twins, he decided to take his frustrations out on a squat machine in the weight room at Target Field. Bad idea.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Bastardo walked away with a large gash above his left eye, which was “nearly swollen shut” after last night’s game. Phillies manager Charlie Manuel told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com this morning that he could have an infection. The southpaw is unlikely to pitch today and could be rested for a couple more days until the swelling goes down.
And no, it is not OK to use Bastardo’s injury as an excuse to avoid the gym this weekend.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)