Jun 16, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
After Antonio Bastardo gave up one run on two hits in an inning of work Wednesday night against the Twins, he decided to take his frustrations out on a squat machine in the weight room at Target Field. Bad idea.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Bastardo walked away with a large gash above his left eye, which was “nearly swollen shut” after last night’s game. Phillies manager Charlie Manuel told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com this morning that he could have an infection. The southpaw is unlikely to pitch today and could be rested for a couple more days until the swelling goes down.
And no, it is not OK to use Bastardo’s injury as an excuse to avoid the gym this weekend.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 12
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 36
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 63
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims