Jun 16, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
After Antonio Bastardo gave up one run on two hits in an inning of work Wednesday night against the Twins, he decided to take his frustrations out on a squat machine in the weight room at Target Field. Bad idea.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Bastardo walked away with a large gash above his left eye, which was “nearly swollen shut” after last night’s game. Phillies manager Charlie Manuel told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com this morning that he could have an infection. The southpaw is unlikely to pitch today and could be rested for a couple more days until the swelling goes down.
And no, it is not OK to use Bastardo’s injury as an excuse to avoid the gym this weekend.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (260)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)