Jun 16, 2012, 12:09 PM EST
After leaving last night’s start in the first inning with what was described as right elbow soreness, Blue Jays right-hander Drew Hutchison was placed on the disabled list this morning with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament.
According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Hutchison will be shut down for the next two weeks before being re-evaluated. Blue Jays manager John Farrell told Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca that all signs point toward him avoiding Tommy John surgery, but he will likely seek a second opinion to rule out a possible tear of the ligament.
Hutchison, 21, made his major league debut on April 21 and posted a 4.60 ERA and 49/20 K/BB ratio in 58 2/3 innings prior to the injury.
The Blue Jays recalled right-hander Robert Coello from Triple-A Las Vegas to replace Hutchison on the active roster, but he is expected to pitch out of the bullpen. Carlos Villanueva pitched four scoreless innings in relief last night against the Phillies and could be a candidate to take Hutchison’s spot in the rotation. The 28-year-old right-hander made 13 starts with the Jays last year, but also missed some time with a forearm strain.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)