Jun 16, 2012, 8:41 PM EDT
Brandon Beachy reported feeling soreness in his right elbow after allowing two earned runs in five innings last Friday night against the Blue Jays, so the Braves gave him an extra three days of rest leading into tonight’s matchup with the Orioles.
But that strategy wasn’t very successful.
Beachy was lifted in the fourth inning Saturday after suffering an apparent setback with his elbow.
The 25-year-old right-hander threw 57 pitches over 3 2/3 innings, striking out five batters and walking only one before giving way to reliever Anthony Varvaro.
Beachy has registered a 2.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 68/29 K/BB ratio across 81 innings this season.
UPDATE, 9:01 PM: The Braves have confirmed that Beachy is dealing with more elbow soreness.
- Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 11
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)