Jun 16, 2012, 8:41 PM EST
Brandon Beachy reported feeling soreness in his right elbow after allowing two earned runs in five innings last Friday night against the Blue Jays, so the Braves gave him an extra three days of rest leading into tonight’s matchup with the Orioles.
But that strategy wasn’t very successful.
Beachy was lifted in the fourth inning Saturday after suffering an apparent setback with his elbow.
The 25-year-old right-hander threw 57 pitches over 3 2/3 innings, striking out five batters and walking only one before giving way to reliever Anthony Varvaro.
Beachy has registered a 2.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 68/29 K/BB ratio across 81 innings this season.
UPDATE, 9:01 PM: The Braves have confirmed that Beachy is dealing with more elbow soreness.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro’s agent denies his client’s involvement in Dominican Republic shooting 27
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (243)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)