Carlos Marmol is back as the Cubs’ closer

Jun 16, 2012, 5:30 PM EST

Carlos Marmol Getty Getty Images

Carlos Marmol notched his first save since May 2 yesterday against the Red Sox, but in typical Marmol-fashion, it wasn’t easy.

Marmol gave up a one-out single to Jarrod Saltalamacchia before Mike Aviles reached on a fielding error by third baseman Luis Valbuena. He then struck out Daniel Nava looking before walking Scott Podsednik to load the bases. However, he was able to get Dustin Pedroia to ground out to end it.

While the appearance hardly inspires confidence moving forward, Cubs manager Dale Sveum revealed after the game that the erratic right-hander will continue to serve as the closer. According to Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune, Sveum said he made the move “to solidify the bullpen somewhat.” No word on if he said that with a straight face. Then again, the Cubs don’t have many great options in their bullpen right now.

Marmol has an ugly 5.79 ERA and 21/22 K/BB ratio in 18 2/3 innings this season, including a 4.91 ERA and 9/6 K/BB ratio over 7 1/3 innings since returning from a hamstring strain at the end of May. Moving him back to the closer role is a way to showcase him for a potential trade, but given that he’s making $7 million this season and $9.8 million next year, that’s going to be a pretty tough sell.

1. derklempner - Jun 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I’m a Cubs fan, first and foremost, bu isn’t it bigger news that the Cubs were actually in a situation where somebody could attain a save?

2. derklempner - Jun 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I’m a Cubs fan first and foremost, but isn’t it bigger news that the Cubs were actually in a situation where somebody could attain a save?

3. sawxalicious - Jun 17, 2012 at 4:59 AM

At first I thought the headline was “Marmol back as the Cubs’ Loser…”. Would probably be just as accurate.

4. rico7207 - Jun 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM

This is the biggest joke in baseball. A woman can do better. Good to know because I could never bet 2 cents on the Cubs knowing this guy is on the team. I’d put in a guy with no arms before ever giving this guy the baseball again. What starter would want to be on the Cubs knowing this bum can lose a 4 run lead in an inning. By rights, this manager must also sit on the strongest VELCRO in the world to just sit there and watch this loser until it is too late. They should both be out of baseball.Sooner the better. Sure looks like they are in cahoots together betting against the Cubs. Nothing else can explain this trash.

5. texascub - Jun 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

This is so crazy. I am sick of this new regime already. Why would this guy be in the ball park? He is useless as Soriano, they both should be booed every time they are seen in the park. I have planned to make two trips to Wrigley this year, but I think I will try to scalp my tickets, and go see the Rangers. Geeeeezz I get mad just thinking about the joke.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4947)
  2. M. Kemp (3484)
  3. J. Kang (2611)
  4. J. Upton (2594)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2577)
  1. C. McGehee (2544)