Jun 16, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
UPDATE: The Phillies might have caught a break. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Ruiz believes he suffered a cramp in his side last night rather than an oblique strain.
He is scheduled to take batting practice today and could be back in the Phillies’ lineup in the next couple of days.
9:22 AM: It’s still too soon to call the Phillies done, but they continue to make things pretty hard on themselves.
Carlos Ruiz left last night’s game against the Blue Jays with a left oblique strain. He received treatment after the game and will be re-evaluated later today, but Phillies manager Charlie Manuel told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that he expects Ruiz will be sidelined for at least the next few days.
“That’s a big one,” Manuel said. “He’s our .360 hitter, the guy that’s been hot, the guy that’s been consistent. He won’t play for a few days, that’s for sure. We’ll know more tomorrow.”
Manuel is obviously holding out hope here, but given what we know about these types of injuries, a stint on the disabled list appears likely.
While the Phillies’ offense has struggled without Chase Utley and Ryan Howard, Ruiz is in the midst of a career year. The 33-year-old backstop is hitting .363/.424/.578 with eight homers, 35 RBI and a 1.002 OPS in 58 games while throwing out 37 percent (17-for-46) of attempted basestealers. Brian Schneider will fill in behind the plate for now while Eric Kratz is expected to join the team in Toronto today.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 23
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 12
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 24
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 64
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)