Jun 16, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
UPDATE: The Phillies might have caught a break. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Ruiz believes he suffered a cramp in his side last night rather than an oblique strain.
He is scheduled to take batting practice today and could be back in the Phillies’ lineup in the next couple of days.
9:22 AM: It’s still too soon to call the Phillies done, but they continue to make things pretty hard on themselves.
Carlos Ruiz left last night’s game against the Blue Jays with a left oblique strain. He received treatment after the game and will be re-evaluated later today, but Phillies manager Charlie Manuel told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that he expects Ruiz will be sidelined for at least the next few days.
“That’s a big one,” Manuel said. “He’s our .360 hitter, the guy that’s been hot, the guy that’s been consistent. He won’t play for a few days, that’s for sure. We’ll know more tomorrow.”
Manuel is obviously holding out hope here, but given what we know about these types of injuries, a stint on the disabled list appears likely.
While the Phillies’ offense has struggled without Chase Utley and Ryan Howard, Ruiz is in the midst of a career year. The 33-year-old backstop is hitting .363/.424/.578 with eight homers, 35 RBI and a 1.002 OPS in 58 games while throwing out 37 percent (17-for-46) of attempted basestealers. Brian Schneider will fill in behind the plate for now while Eric Kratz is expected to join the team in Toronto today.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 97
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 46
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 6
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 73
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement