Jun 16, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
As expected, the Mets announced this afternoon that Jason Bay was placed on the 7-day disabled list with a concussion. Justin Turner was activated from the disabled list to replace him on the active roster.
Bay suffered the concussion last night when he slammed his head and neck into the left field fence while attempting to make a diving catch of a fly ball off the ball of Jay Bruce. Bay laid on the warning track for a moment before getting to his feet and throwing the ball back into the infield, but Bruce was able to circle the bases for an inside-the-park homer.
Bay was quite woozy when he walked off the field escorted by Mets manager Terry Collins and a team trainer. Given his previous concussion issues, most sane fans in attendance at Citi Field were concerned about his well being, but some unfortunate knuckleheads thought it was an appropriate occasion to boo him. Real classy.
Bay missed the final two months of the 2010 season with post-concussion issues after he ran face-first into the left field wall in Los Angeles, so it might be a while before we see him again. His troubled tenure in New York continues to boggle the mind.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)