Jun 16, 2012, 2:51 PM EST
As expected, the Mets announced this afternoon that Jason Bay was placed on the 7-day disabled list with a concussion. Justin Turner was activated from the disabled list to replace him on the active roster.
Bay suffered the concussion last night when he slammed his head and neck into the left field fence while attempting to make a diving catch of a fly ball off the ball of Jay Bruce. Bay laid on the warning track for a moment before getting to his feet and throwing the ball back into the infield, but Bruce was able to circle the bases for an inside-the-park homer.
Bay was quite woozy when he walked off the field escorted by Mets manager Terry Collins and a team trainer. Given his previous concussion issues, most sane fans in attendance at Citi Field were concerned about his well being, but some unfortunate knuckleheads thought it was an appropriate occasion to boo him. Real classy.
Bay missed the final two months of the 2010 season with post-concussion issues after he ran face-first into the left field wall in Los Angeles, so it might be a while before we see him again. His troubled tenure in New York continues to boggle the mind.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)