Jun 16, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
As expected, the Mets announced this afternoon that Jason Bay was placed on the 7-day disabled list with a concussion. Justin Turner was activated from the disabled list to replace him on the active roster.
Bay suffered the concussion last night when he slammed his head and neck into the left field fence while attempting to make a diving catch of a fly ball off the ball of Jay Bruce. Bay laid on the warning track for a moment before getting to his feet and throwing the ball back into the infield, but Bruce was able to circle the bases for an inside-the-park homer.
Bay was quite woozy when he walked off the field escorted by Mets manager Terry Collins and a team trainer. Given his previous concussion issues, most sane fans in attendance at Citi Field were concerned about his well being, but some unfortunate knuckleheads thought it was an appropriate occasion to boo him. Real classy.
Bay missed the final two months of the 2010 season with post-concussion issues after he ran face-first into the left field wall in Los Angeles, so it might be a while before we see him again. His troubled tenure in New York continues to boggle the mind.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)