Jun 16, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
As expected, the Mets announced this afternoon that Jason Bay was placed on the 7-day disabled list with a concussion. Justin Turner was activated from the disabled list to replace him on the active roster.
Bay suffered the concussion last night when he slammed his head and neck into the left field fence while attempting to make a diving catch of a fly ball off the ball of Jay Bruce. Bay laid on the warning track for a moment before getting to his feet and throwing the ball back into the infield, but Bruce was able to circle the bases for an inside-the-park homer.
Bay was quite woozy when he walked off the field escorted by Mets manager Terry Collins and a team trainer. Given his previous concussion issues, most sane fans in attendance at Citi Field were concerned about his well being, but some unfortunate knuckleheads thought it was an appropriate occasion to boo him. Real classy.
Bay missed the final two months of the 2010 season with post-concussion issues after he ran face-first into the left field wall in Los Angeles, so it might be a while before we see him again. His troubled tenure in New York continues to boggle the mind.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 17
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 4
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 62
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games