Jun 16, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
The Angels are close to getting their ace back.
Weaver has been sidelined since the end of May with a lower back strain. He is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Sunday, after which the Angels will make a decision about whether he’s ready to rejoin the starting rotation.
“Everything looked great, he looked really sharp,” Scioscia said. “But we’ll see how he feels tomorrow and how he comes out of his bullpen Sunday before thinking about fitting him back in.”
Weaver, 29, had a 2.61 ERA and 57/15 K/BB ratio over his first 11 starts prior to the injury. The Angels are 10-6 during his absence and currently sit four games behind the first-place Rangers in the American League West.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)