Jun 16, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
The Angels are close to getting their ace back.
Weaver has been sidelined since the end of May with a lower back strain. He is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Sunday, after which the Angels will make a decision about whether he’s ready to rejoin the starting rotation.
“Everything looked great, he looked really sharp,” Scioscia said. “But we’ll see how he feels tomorrow and how he comes out of his bullpen Sunday before thinking about fitting him back in.”
Weaver, 29, had a 2.61 ERA and 57/15 K/BB ratio over his first 11 starts prior to the injury. The Angels are 10-6 during his absence and currently sit four games behind the first-place Rangers in the American League West.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)