Jun 16, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT
The end of last night’s game between the Royals and Cardinals was truly bizarre.
Jonathan Broxton entered the bottom of the ninth with a 3-2 lead and retired the first two batters he faced before giving up a two-out single to Tyler Greene. With Rafael Furcal at the plate as a pinch-hitter, Greene took off for second base. The throw by catcher Humberto Quintero was into the runner and shortstop Alcides Escobar was unable to track it down. As the ball trickled toward the outfield, Greene alertly darted for third base which drew an off-balance throw from second baseman Chris Getz. However, the throw sailed past third baseman Mike Moustakas and into foul territory. Greene then made one final mad dash toward the plate, but Moustakas made an accurate throw to Quintero, who applied the tag for the final out of the ballgame.
You can watch the thrilling play in full here.
The play at the plate was very, very close. After seeing multiple replays, I still can’t make up my mind on it. However, Quintero did an excellent job blocking Greene’s slide just long enough to convince home plate umpire Alan Porter that he applied the tag in time. And it took a perfect throw from Moustakas to even make it close.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 17
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 4
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 62
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games