Jun 16, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT
The end of last night’s game between the Royals and Cardinals was truly bizarre.
Jonathan Broxton entered the bottom of the ninth with a 3-2 lead and retired the first two batters he faced before giving up a two-out single to Tyler Greene. With Rafael Furcal at the plate as a pinch-hitter, Greene took off for second base. The throw by catcher Humberto Quintero was into the runner and shortstop Alcides Escobar was unable to track it down. As the ball trickled toward the outfield, Greene alertly darted for third base which drew an off-balance throw from second baseman Chris Getz. However, the throw sailed past third baseman Mike Moustakas and into foul territory. Greene then made one final mad dash toward the plate, but Moustakas made an accurate throw to Quintero, who applied the tag for the final out of the ballgame.
You can watch the thrilling play in full here.
The play at the plate was very, very close. After seeing multiple replays, I still can’t make up my mind on it. However, Quintero did an excellent job blocking Greene’s slide just long enough to convince home plate umpire Alan Porter that he applied the tag in time. And it took a perfect throw from Moustakas to even make it close.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)