Jun 16, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT
The end of last night’s game between the Royals and Cardinals was truly bizarre.
Jonathan Broxton entered the bottom of the ninth with a 3-2 lead and retired the first two batters he faced before giving up a two-out single to Tyler Greene. With Rafael Furcal at the plate as a pinch-hitter, Greene took off for second base. The throw by catcher Humberto Quintero was into the runner and shortstop Alcides Escobar was unable to track it down. As the ball trickled toward the outfield, Greene alertly darted for third base which drew an off-balance throw from second baseman Chris Getz. However, the throw sailed past third baseman Mike Moustakas and into foul territory. Greene then made one final mad dash toward the plate, but Moustakas made an accurate throw to Quintero, who applied the tag for the final out of the ballgame.
You can watch the thrilling play in full here.
The play at the plate was very, very close. After seeing multiple replays, I still can’t make up my mind on it. However, Quintero did an excellent job blocking Greene’s slide just long enough to convince home plate umpire Alan Porter that he applied the tag in time. And it took a perfect throw from Moustakas to even make it close.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)