Jun 16, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT
The end of last night’s game between the Royals and Cardinals was truly bizarre.
Jonathan Broxton entered the bottom of the ninth with a 3-2 lead and retired the first two batters he faced before giving up a two-out single to Tyler Greene. With Rafael Furcal at the plate as a pinch-hitter, Greene took off for second base. The throw by catcher Humberto Quintero was into the runner and shortstop Alcides Escobar was unable to track it down. As the ball trickled toward the outfield, Greene alertly darted for third base which drew an off-balance throw from second baseman Chris Getz. However, the throw sailed past third baseman Mike Moustakas and into foul territory. Greene then made one final mad dash toward the plate, but Moustakas made an accurate throw to Quintero, who applied the tag for the final out of the ballgame.
You can watch the thrilling play in full here.
The play at the plate was very, very close. After seeing multiple replays, I still can’t make up my mind on it. However, Quintero did an excellent job blocking Greene’s slide just long enough to convince home plate umpire Alan Porter that he applied the tag in time. And it took a perfect throw from Moustakas to even make it close.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)