Troy Tulowitzki to be examined for possible sports hernia

Jun 16, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT

Troy Tulowitzki Getty Getty Images

This isn’t what you want to hear if you’re a Rockies fan.

Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Troy Tulowitzki will fly to Philadelphia on Monday to be evaluated for a possible sports hernia.

Tulowitzki’s injury was originally described as a left groin strain when he was placed on the disabled list at the end of May. It’s not clear if he actually has a sports hernia, but the Rockies are searching for answers after he suffered a setback in his very first minor league rehab game earlier this week.

Tulowitzki is scheduled to be examined Monday by Dr. Bill Meyers, who performed sports hernia surgery on Rangers’ outfielder Josh Hamilton last November. If a sports hernia is confirmed and surgery is required, Saunders estimates that he would likely need 4-6 weeks before resuming baseball activities.

Tulowitzki is hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight home runs, 27 RBI and an .846 OPS through 47 games this season.

1. latchbeam - Jun 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM

He should get his vag examined! Ever since he started talking smack about Ubaldo and then couldn’t take his HBP like a man, he’s had problems with his vag.

• Ben - Jun 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM

How did an ESPN user find its way over to HBT?

• spellingcops - Jun 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Something tells me that if you had the balls to tell that to Tulo personally, he’d be placing your “vag” into your throat. Go be a worthless scum sucking internet troll somewhere else douche bag.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Can someone translate this from stupid lil boy to normal man?

• wlschneider09 - Jun 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I’ll give it a try: “Pay attention to me! Pay attention to me! Pay attention to me! I’m super tough! Pay attention to me! “

2. xjokerz - Jun 17, 2012 at 3:13 AM

So I should drop him in fantasy ? Shitttttttt!

3. jwbiii - Jun 17, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Do you really want to send an infielder to Philadelphia for a second opinion? Aren’t all their infielders in critical care wards?

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey