Jun 17, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The Braves aren’t exactly sure about the level of severity of Brandon Beachy‘s right elbow injury, but they’re resigned to the fact that the right-hander is going to be out for at least the next couple of weeks.
According to beat writer David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Beachy was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning with what is currently being labeled as “elbow discomfort.”
Beachy will undergo a dye-contrast MRI on Monday in a search for answers. Team physicians are optimistic that he’s merely dealing with bone chips, which would only require a minor surgical procedure. But it’s quite possible that the situation is far worse.
Beachy, 25, has posted a superb 2.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 68/29 K/BB ratio in 81 innings (13 starts) this season. Losing him for a significant period of time would obviously be a tough blow for second-place Atlanta.
Jair Jurrjens will return from Triple-A Gwinnett and start in Beachy’s place on Friday against the Red Sox.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)