Jun 17, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The Braves aren’t exactly sure about the level of severity of Brandon Beachy‘s right elbow injury, but they’re resigned to the fact that the right-hander is going to be out for at least the next couple of weeks.
According to beat writer David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Beachy was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning with what is currently being labeled as “elbow discomfort.”
Beachy will undergo a dye-contrast MRI on Monday in a search for answers. Team physicians are optimistic that he’s merely dealing with bone chips, which would only require a minor surgical procedure. But it’s quite possible that the situation is far worse.
Beachy, 25, has posted a superb 2.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 68/29 K/BB ratio in 81 innings (13 starts) this season. Losing him for a significant period of time would obviously be a tough blow for second-place Atlanta.
Jair Jurrjens will return from Triple-A Gwinnett and start in Beachy’s place on Friday against the Red Sox.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)