Jun 17, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The Braves aren’t exactly sure about the level of severity of Brandon Beachy‘s right elbow injury, but they’re resigned to the fact that the right-hander is going to be out for at least the next couple of weeks.
According to beat writer David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Beachy was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning with what is currently being labeled as “elbow discomfort.”
Beachy will undergo a dye-contrast MRI on Monday in a search for answers. Team physicians are optimistic that he’s merely dealing with bone chips, which would only require a minor surgical procedure. But it’s quite possible that the situation is far worse.
Beachy, 25, has posted a superb 2.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 68/29 K/BB ratio in 81 innings (13 starts) this season. Losing him for a significant period of time would obviously be a tough blow for second-place Atlanta.
Jair Jurrjens will return from Triple-A Gwinnett and start in Beachy’s place on Friday against the Red Sox.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)