Jun 17, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
The Braves aren’t exactly sure about the level of severity of Brandon Beachy‘s right elbow injury, but they’re resigned to the fact that the right-hander is going to be out for at least the next couple of weeks.
According to beat writer David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Beachy was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning with what is currently being labeled as “elbow discomfort.”
Beachy will undergo a dye-contrast MRI on Monday in a search for answers. Team physicians are optimistic that he’s merely dealing with bone chips, which would only require a minor surgical procedure. But it’s quite possible that the situation is far worse.
Beachy, 25, has posted a superb 2.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 68/29 K/BB ratio in 81 innings (13 starts) this season. Losing him for a significant period of time would obviously be a tough blow for second-place Atlanta.
Jair Jurrjens will return from Triple-A Gwinnett and start in Beachy’s place on Friday against the Red Sox.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 10
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 90
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)