Jun 17, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The Braves aren’t exactly sure about the level of severity of Brandon Beachy‘s right elbow injury, but they’re resigned to the fact that the right-hander is going to be out for at least the next couple of weeks.
According to beat writer David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Beachy was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning with what is currently being labeled as “elbow discomfort.”
Beachy will undergo a dye-contrast MRI on Monday in a search for answers. Team physicians are optimistic that he’s merely dealing with bone chips, which would only require a minor surgical procedure. But it’s quite possible that the situation is far worse.
Beachy, 25, has posted a superb 2.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 68/29 K/BB ratio in 81 innings (13 starts) this season. Losing him for a significant period of time would obviously be a tough blow for second-place Atlanta.
Jair Jurrjens will return from Triple-A Gwinnett and start in Beachy’s place on Friday against the Red Sox.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)