Jun 17, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
Many thought Tim Lincecum was one more bad start away from either having his turn skipped or receiving a temporary demotion to the bullpen. Lincecum, though, has escaped that fate after giving up five runs and two homers in a loss to the Mariners on Saturday.
Manager Bruce Bochy said today that Lincecum will make his start Friday against the A’s.
The Giants have lost nine straight games started by Lincecum, who is now 2-8 with a 6.19 ERA for the season. Lincecum’s last win came on April 28 against the Padres. He’s allowed at least four runs in 10 of his 14 starts.
Lincecum showed better velocity last night, which is perhaps one reason the Giants have chosen to hold off on making any changes.
“He’s healthy. He feels good,” Bochy told CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly. “I know the results haven’t been great for Timmy, but you just see too many good signs. Even after the first inning (Saturday), he had bad luck there.
“At this point we think the best thing is to let him fight through this. If we felt different, we’d do it.”
They probably will feel different if Lincecum can’t pitch his way past the light-hitting A’s next weekend.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)