Nationals designate reliever Brad Lidge for assignment

Jun 17, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT

brad lidge getty Getty Images

2012 has been a nightmare thus far for Brad Lidge.

First he surrendered seven hits, seven walks and four earned runs in seven innings during the season’s opening month. Then he needed surgery near the end of April to correct a sports hernia and missed six weeks. And now, according to beat writer Amanda Comak of the Washington Times, the veteran reliever has been designated for assignment.

Lidge wound up posting a brutal 9.64 ERA, 2.46 WHIP and 10/11 K/BB ratio across 9 1/3 innings with the Nats.

The 35-year-old seems likely to pass through waivers but should attract interest on the free agent market.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Phillies should pick him up. He is terrible but probably less so than the “nightmare of a bullpen” Manuel typically has at his disposal.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Everyone in the NL east agrees, the Phillies should pick him up

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Haha….mock all you want but I’d rather see him out there than Joe Savery, BJ Rosenberg, Chad Qualls, or the other misfits they have in the pen sans Pappelbon and Bastardo.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Swapping trash for trash leaves you with trash. I’d hope the Phillies pick up anyone who isn’t certifiable trash, rather than swap one stink for another.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Yes, well that is rather obvious but given the current situation at hand…..also, no Phillies fan should be calling Lidge trash. He should be on the “lifetime pass” list for 2008.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Giving out lifetime passes for over rated players playing an over rated position. sounds good to me

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Jun 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I wonder what his wife thinks about this new development.

2. randygnyc - Jun 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Too bad. They should’ve waited until after today’s game. I was hoping he’d throw against the Yankees again.

• pisano - Jun 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Amen randy, he was a lot of help yesterday, but I wish him well, hey, maybe Boston will pick him up, just a thought.

• natstowngreg - Jun 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Watching Ryan Mattheus warm up in the Nats bullpen, The thought occurred that they might have DFA’s Lidge to bring Mattheus back from the DL. However, it seemed a bit soon to give up on him. Then my (half) season ticket mate checked his iPhone and confirmed the move.

The middle of the Nats bullpen helped kill the team this weekend (though it wasn’t the only thing). Until Drew Storen returns and finally, Davey can set up his bullpen the way he wants, it will continue to jeopardize the Nats’ chances.

3. Utley's Hair - Jun 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Well, I guess he isn’t a good fit on the “most talented team he’s ever been a part of.”

4. siftin thru nonsense - Jun 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

No, he is done. Phillies should not pick him up unless they want to get worse. He has been done for yrs. If u say we should pick him up, you dont get it.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Don’t get what….last 2 seasons he posted an ERA of 2.96 and 1.40 respectively while posting WAR’s of around 1.0. That doesn’t seem like done to me. If you want to right him off based upon 9 innings this season, fine whatever…sample size be damned I suppose. However, saying that he has been done for years is categorically false. I’d be willing to give him a shot at the expense of the non-MLB caliber pitchers that have littered the Phillies bullpen this year.

• xmatt0926x - Jun 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

drmonkey, he posted decent era numbers but you forgot to list his WHIP, which I felt was far more telling of the issue with Lidge. Even when he got through an inning without giving up anything he usually had a couple men on base and was playing with fire. If his slider was on then he could be untouchable but if it wasn’t on then he was flirting with disaster every time. He’s the last thing the Phillies need. He is done. He does get a lifetime pass for 2008. Being a fan from the early 80′s and living through the Steve Jeltz era I have no problem giving all those guys who finally won a title a lifetime pass.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Fair enough…I did conveniently leave off the WHIP which I believe was around 1.5 last season. I just think the bullpen as currently constructed is obviously horrid. Honestly, look at who they are trotting out there on a regular basis. If you want to say the season is a wash and want the young guys to get experience, okay….I will buy that. If, however, you think they can make a legit run then the bullpen needs to improve. Maybe I am grasping at straws, but I think adding Lidge on a vet. minimum deal in lieu of somebody like BJ Rosenberg would provide at least a minimal upgrade.

5. jimbroney - Jun 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM