Jun 18, 2012, 4:48 PM EDT
I guess this means the Ryan Dempster trade speculation can be put on hold for a bit.
Dempster has been placed on the disabled list due to a strained right lat muscle, with the Cubs telling Carrie Muskat of MLB.com that the injury is “not considered serious.”
The injury comes with Dempster in the midst of a 22-inning scoreless streak that includes three straight starts with zero runs allowed against the Red Sox, Twins, and Brewers.
Dempster’s public sit-down with team president Theo Epstein last week created headlines and has everyone believing it’s only a matter of time before the Cubs trade the 35-year-old impending free agent, but reports about a deal possibly being done by the end of this month are now moot.
He’ll have plenty of time to come back and prove he’s healthy again before the trade deadline, but if the Cubs are going to move Dempster it’ll be in July.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)