Jun 18, 2012, 4:48 PM EDT
I guess this means the Ryan Dempster trade speculation can be put on hold for a bit.
Dempster has been placed on the disabled list due to a strained right lat muscle, with the Cubs telling Carrie Muskat of MLB.com that the injury is “not considered serious.”
The injury comes with Dempster in the midst of a 22-inning scoreless streak that includes three straight starts with zero runs allowed against the Red Sox, Twins, and Brewers.
Dempster’s public sit-down with team president Theo Epstein last week created headlines and has everyone believing it’s only a matter of time before the Cubs trade the 35-year-old impending free agent, but reports about a deal possibly being done by the end of this month are now moot.
He’ll have plenty of time to come back and prove he’s healthy again before the trade deadline, but if the Cubs are going to move Dempster it’ll be in July.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)