Jun 18, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
As if keeping his spot in the Orioles’ rotation wasn’t a big enough challenge for Jake Arrieta he’ll be pitching tonight after spending yesterday sick with food poisoning.
Arrieta told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he got sick after eating a pork chop at the team hotel Saturday–surely the hotel is thrilled to have that information public–and “was sick all day Sunday.”
Despite that and not eating anything for 24 hours Arrieta is taking the mound tonight against the Mets. Arrieta tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the Pirates last week, but before that went through a seven-start stretch in which he was 0-6 with a 9.34 ERA.
(Go ahead and insert your own joke about a 9.34 ERA, food poisoning, and vomit.)
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (232)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)