Jun 18, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
As if keeping his spot in the Orioles’ rotation wasn’t a big enough challenge for Jake Arrieta he’ll be pitching tonight after spending yesterday sick with food poisoning.
Arrieta told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he got sick after eating a pork chop at the team hotel Saturday–surely the hotel is thrilled to have that information public–and “was sick all day Sunday.”
Despite that and not eating anything for 24 hours Arrieta is taking the mound tonight against the Mets. Arrieta tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the Pirates last week, but before that went through a seven-start stretch in which he was 0-6 with a 9.34 ERA.
(Go ahead and insert your own joke about a 9.34 ERA, food poisoning, and vomit.)
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 0
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 43
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)