MVP again? Joey Votto leads the NL in everything, basically

Jun 18, 2012, 12:48 PM EST

Cincinnati Reds v Houston Astros Getty Images

Joey Votto hit .289 with a .939 OPS in April. Then he hit .355 with a 1.160 OPS in May. And now he’s hitting .491 with a 1.392 OPS in June.

Overall the former MVP leads the National League in batting average (.366), on-base percentage (.489), slugging percentage (.652), OPS (1.141), doubles (28), extra-base hits (40), walks (54), and times on base (131). He also leads the league in Runs Created (74) and Wins Above Replacement (4.3).

It might seem weird to suggest that someone who won the MVP as recently as 2010 is actually underrated, but I really think we’ve reached that point with Votto. Obviously anyone paying any kind of attention knows he’s a great player, but the fact that he’s been arguably the best hitter in all of baseball for the past four seasons seems to get lost in the shuffle somewhat.

Votto had a really good rookie season in 2008 and then took things to another level in 2009. From then until now he’s hit .324 with a .477 on-base percentage and .575 slugging percentage in 507 games. During that four-year span Votto is the only hitter in baseball with an OPS above 1.000. He leads all MLB hitters in on-base percentage, is .002 points away from tying Miguel Cabrera and Albert Pujols for the lead in slugging percentage, and trails only Joe Mauer and Cabrera in batting average. And he’s done all that while hitting slightly better on the road than at home in Cincinnati’s hitter-friendly ballpark.

1. stlouis1baseball - Jun 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM

He has also developed himself into a very good defensive 1st Baseman as well.
    They really should trade the bum.

2. nategearhart - Jun 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I agree with you, but I think unfortunately we are not yet past the mindset of whoever leads in HR and RBI is MVP.

• Joe - Jun 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

…other than that one time when Joey Votto won the MVP without leading the league in either HR or RBI.

• Kevin S. - Jun 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Yeah, but his team won the division. If they lose out to the Pirates, he clearly can’t have been the most valuable player in the league.

This is me rolling my eyes out the top of my skull.

3. notthesicko - Jun 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Dude has pulled a foul ball into the stands once his entire MLB career. That has to be one of the craziest, most amazing stats in sports.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Sicko: What? I have never heard and/or seen anything in regards to this. If true…amazing.
      I am just not ready to buy it at this point.

• notthesicko - Jun 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Verducci wrote an article up about him a week or two ago. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/06/05/joey.votto.reds/index.html.
        Another insane stat from the article is that he’s popped up into the infield three times in the past four seasons. I like the foul stat better myself though.

• Kevin S. - Jun 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I heard it mentioned on the broadcast when the Yanks and Reds played. I don’t know about the veracity of the statement, but it definitely has been floating around.

• captaincougar - Jun 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

From a recent article by Tom Verducci: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/06/05/joey.votto.reds/index.html?xid=sbnation

• mirmz - Jun 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Wait… super serial?

4. stlouis1baseball - Jun 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Cougar: “Anyone who’s followed Votto’s career closely and has paid attention to his approach at the plate wouldn’t find this that hard to believe.”
    Unfortunately, I am force fed Reds baseball on a daily freaking basis as a result of the black out restrictions in Indiana. Nothing more frustrating than watching a full 30 minutes of the Cardinals pre-game show and then get blacked out by FSMW right at game time. Point being…I watch all the damn time. And what I don’t see…my Redlegs loving buddies are sure to point out to me regularly. With that in mind…this stat is very hard to believe. It has nothing to do with Joey’s “approach.” Dude has one of the best approaches in the game. It has to do with it being an unbelievable stat.

• metalhead65 - Jun 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM

seriously? what part of Indiana do you live in? up north in Ft. Wayne we are force fed the cubs! unless it is on fox midwest we never get to see the reds. thought it would be different Sat. since they were playing the mets but no we get the cubs-sox. I never watch the games but to see it advertised then have the worst team in baseball shoved down our throats is maddening!

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Central Indiana…just South of Indy.

5. denny65 - Jun 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Didn’t Votto also win the Nobel Peace Prize?

6. zurnvs - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Lot of haters out tonight.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5293)