Jun 18, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
California high school right-hander Lucas Giolito was in the mix for the No. 1 overall pick before an elbow injury ended his season and he fell to the Nationals with the 16th pick.
Because of the new rules for signing bonuses the Nationals are somewhat limited in terms of what they can offer Giolito and even by saving money with other picks they have “only” $3 million or so to lure him away from college ball at UCLA.
If they truly felt Giolito is a No. 1 pick talent the Nationals could exceed their allotted money and accept the penalty of forfeiting next year’s first-round pick. And that’s perhaps not as far-fetched as it might initially seem considering the Nationals have a top-five record and would be picking near the bottom of the first round if the season ended today.
However, according to Amanda Comak of the Washington Times the team has ruled out that possibility and “under no circumstances” will give up next year’s first-rounder to sign Giolito. Of course, as the mid-July signing deadline approaches we’ll see if sharing that stance with reporters is partly a negotiating tactic.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)