Jun 18, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
No. 1 pick Carlos Correa signed with the Astros almost immediately and the high school shortstop from Puerto Rico also wasted no time making his professional debut, going 1-for-5 with a walk and a stolen base today at rookie-ball.
Correa, who agreed to a $4.8 million bonus compared to the $7.2 million slot value for the top pick, also struck out once against the Cardinals’ affiliate on Opening Day for the Gulf Coast League.
No. 2 overall pick Byron Buxton also signed quickly with the Twins, getting a draft-high $6 million, but his Gulf Coast League debut is apparently being delayed for a few days.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)