R.A. Dickey throws his second straight one-hitter

Jun 18, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT

R.A. Dickey Getty Getty Images

R.A. Dickey‘s incredible stretch of success continued tonight, as he carved up the Orioles for his second straight one-hitter as part of a 5-0 victory.

There was no controversy over the lone hit tonight, as Wilson Betemit ripped a clean single to right-center field with two outs in the top of the fifth inning. Still, he was nothing short of sensational, striking out a career-high 13 while walking just two.

Dickey is the first pitcher to throw back-to-back one-hitters since Dave Steib with the Blue Jays in 1988. The 37-year-old knuckleballer is the first National League hurler to do it since Jim Tobin of the Boston Braves back in 1944.

Over Dickey’s last six starts, he has allowed just two runs (one earned) while striking out 63 and walking five over 48 2/3 innings. He now leads the majors with 11 wins and finds himself tied for the major league lead in both ERA (2.00 ERA, tied with Brandon Beachy) and strikeouts (103 strikeouts, tied with Justin Verlander). Simply remarkable.

1. number42is1 - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I’m 32 years old and this has to be one of the greatest pitching accomplishments in baseball in my lifetime. simply amazing (no pun intended) and even as a Yankees fan.. the most fun i have ever had watching someone pitch

• dondada10 - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Dickey has been a very good pitcher since 2010, but his last few starts have been truly incredible to watch. He is constantly in the strike-zone.

• Old Gator - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Throwing knuckleballs, no less. RADickulous.

• steelersfan1983 - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Speechless

• borninfellspoint - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

What a great game! usually when my lovely wife watches games w/ me we are rooting for the Orioles. But not this time for she is a Long islander and a lifelong Mets fan. Around the 4th inning or so she commented “this is a really boring game” (yeah i mentioned the no hitter so far). Next it was jumping around after the grand slam w/ cries of in your face. after it became clear to her the mets would win she proceded to talk about which hats she liked better,and “didnt the Mets used to have blue uniforms? I liked those better” Congrats to Dickey it truly was an awsome performance! Go Orioles

2. oltanya - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Second straight start with a career high in Ks, first since 1988 with back-to-back one-hitters, first in the NL since 1944 to do the same. How cool would a Cy Young knuckleballer be?

• ajcardsfan - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I’m not sure, but I’d like to find out :)

3. shawnuel - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy!

• Old Gator - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Dickey crusades for all the idiosyncratics of the world. Way to go, bubbeleh.

4. randygnyc - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM

6 hits over his last 3 games. Unbelievably awesome. Can’t wait till the Yankees get him this week. On his way to a CY young?

5. Loose Changeup - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Knuckleball in the upper 70s, with accuracy, he’s on his own level right now. Hershiser’s 59 inning streak looks possible right now.

6. chill1184 - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Way to go RA! I would love for him to start in the ASG but hell Cy Young would be even better

7. kappy32 - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM

This is “Simply Amazin’.” I have been a Mets fan my entire life & I have been very down on this team & their player selections. I did not think Lucas Duda was worthy of being a MLB starter, but I was wrong. I was up in arms 2 years ago when RA was brought up; now I look like a fool. I still don’t believe that Josh Thole, Dillon Gee or Ruben Tejada are worthy of big league roster spots; it’s not a coincidence that Matt Harvey has the same rotation turn at AAA as Gee in the MLB & that the Mets drafted a SS & a C with their first 2 draft picks; both of which are expected to fly through the system, with Kevin Plawecki (C) to be ready first. However, there is something special with this team. Aside from Wright, Duda & Kirk, this team cannot hit; aside from Dickey & Nohan, their starting pitching is a joke; and their bullpen isn’t much better, having a closer with almost a 4.00 ERA. Despite all that, all they do is win. When they have a bad series & look like they are about to prove the prognosticators correct, they come right back & sweep a team like the Rays on the road. I’m not about to predict a World Series birth this year, I’m not even going to predict a division title, but I will guarantee that they will be playing meaningful games in September, fighting for the WC & WC II birth. I will stick with that prediction if they prove me wrong. I just don’t think that’s going to happen.

8. chasemutley - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Check him for steroids!!! Haha Just kidding. Congrats to Dickey, this is a phenomenal accomplishment. Couldn’t happen to a classier player.

9. imaginesuperbowlwin - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM

My GOD why did the Twinkies let this guy get away?

10. butchhuskey - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Because he didn’t really start to master the knuckleball until 2010 when he was already 35 years old – I think his success has come as a shock to evrybody

• butchhuskey - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM

EDIT: everybody

11. randygnyc - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Kappy- Take it easy. The Mets have a superstar in Dickie. A very good player in Wright. Aside from that, the Mets are just an average, 81 win team. Their only chance of going to a NYC playoff game this year is if they buy a ticket.

• chill1184 - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I know I’m responding to another pathetic Mike Fatcessa listening Yankee troll but last time I checked it’s June NOT September. The NL East is still open at this point, last place Philly is only 9.5 games back.

• dan1111 - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yep, the Mets are four games back with only 94 left to play. No one has ever made up that kind of deficit! They are only two games back in the wildcard, but in order to get that, all ONE teams in front of them would have to play poorly.

• dan1111 - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

p.s. Johan Santana, one of the best pitchers of the last decade, is a pretty glaring omission from your list. Teams have gone all the way with two great starters and a mediocre supporting cast.

• Old Gator - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I can assure you that at least one of the teams below them will continue to play poorly. Hint: they have ick and fin rot of the slash line.

12. aceshigh11 - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM

What a great story…I LOVE this guy.

13. zer0s1gnal - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

13 SO career high. Last 4 starts = 63 SO. 63/4 = ~ 16 SO per game. ~48 IP. 48/9 = 5+ games. Did I miss something? Anyway, still impressive to say the least.

• schlom - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

That’s the last 6 starts, not 4.

48.1 innings, 21 hits, 5 walks, 1 earned run, 63 K’s.

I don’t know if it’s the best 6 game streak for a starting pitcher ever but it has to be in the top 10. It’s better than any six game stretch Bob Gibson or Pedro Martinez had and better than the six shutouts in a row Orel threw to break Drysdale’s record.

14. zer0s1gnal - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I see it was corrected to six starts.

15. dieterlaser - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM

This guy has been incredible and gets better every game. Tonight he was unstoppable. Tons of strikeouts and weak contact. It won’t surprise me if he no hits the Yankees this weekend, or throws one sometime soon. That 80+ mph knuckler might be the best pitch in baseball with Mo on the DL….

16. mydadyourmom - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Dave Stieb’s one hitters BOTH came within one out of a no no. Good job by Dickey.

• schlom - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM

He also lost a perfect game with two outs in the ninth in 1989.

17. DJ MC - Jun 19, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Breaking news out of New York…

The Mets have announced that they will appeal the one hit from tonight’s game because c’mon! Wilson Betemit?

18. mgflolox - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Dickey’s just hitting his stride. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him among the top pitchers 10 years from now.

• foreverchipper10 - Jun 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM

It would surprise the hell out of me considering he would be 47 years old.

19. wildpat19 - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM

As an Orioles fan I have to give him alot of credit he constantly threw that knuckleball all night for strikes. Thank god we only face him once this season. It almost seems as if that is all the Mets have to stop the Birds. The Orioles will gladly take 2 out of 3 these next 2 games from the mediocre lineup the Mets have to offer. Come talk when you guys take a series from us. If the Orioles starting staff pitched in that ballpark they would be a hell of alot better then the Mets staff.

20. wildpat19 - Jun 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Do not get to exctied Mets fans one knuckleball pitcher certainly does not win a championship. Sorry but I had to put that in this post even though you guys already knew that hahahaha

• Nerlo Rangel - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:08 AM

RA throws about 4 different knuckleballs. add the fastball and he’s a 5 pitch pitcher.

his combo of movement and control is currently at the top of baseball.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Orioles fans know a lot about NOT winning championships.

• wildpat19 - Jun 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Yea I am sure all of those Orioles fans just forgot that whole Oriole way thing from 1966-1983. Good pitching from a rotation and bullpen as a whole, great defense to back up the pitchers and a lineup that picks eachother up when their numbers are called on. No but you are right Oriole fans have absolutely no clue about how championships are won.

21. Nerlo Rangel - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:05 AM

boy, am i glad i added this guy to my fantasy team on may 21st…so far, as part of my team, he’s produced:

6 – 0 in six starts
    3 complete game shutouts (one unearned run)
    0.534 WHIP
    0.185 ERA
    11.65 K / 9
    63 K
    5 BB

just ridiculous numbers.

22. stex52 - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:39 AM

How about that? An intelligent and well-spoken player with an interesting outside life who also happens to be pitching some of the best baseball this year. And with a knuckleball of all things.

Baseball always has a new story to tell.

23. sdelmonte - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM

He’s Sidd Finch come to life. Or as close we might ever come.

I think you could do a spoof of the Dos Equis “Most Interesting Man in the World” ads with actual facts.

24. jimeejohnson - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Meanwhile, the Phillies are losing game after game. That’s what makes baseball so interesting: a favorite like the Phils sitting in last place, while a supposed second rate team like the Mets competing.

25. thedudabides - Jun 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Dan the Mets actually aren’t two games out of the WC. If the season ended today, they would play the Giants in the one game playoff, remember the top two WC teams play a one game playoff regardless if the first team has a 10 game lead or not. Still don’t agree with it.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS