Jun 18, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Jair Jurrjens is on his way back to the majors two months after being demoted to Triple-A, as Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves will call him up to make Friday’s start against the Red Sox.
Brandon Beachy‘s elbow injury opened the door for Jurrjens’ return, but he hasn’t exactly been impressive at Triple-A. Jurrjens has a 5.27 ERA in nine starts there overall, including two outings in which he allowed double-digit runs, and he gave up four runs in 6.2 innings in his most recent appearance.
Jurrjens has been terrible in the minors and majors since the middle of last season, so the Braves are definitely taking a risk by bringing him back this soon and even Fredi Gonzalez seemed less than convinced that he’s ready to thrive again versus big-leaguer hitters, saying:
He’s made some progress. His velocity has been up there. There’s some separation there with his change-up, so we’re going to give him a shot. He’s been an All-Star, he has the experience. Give him an opportunity again. I’m curious when he comes back to see how he pitches.
Atlanta could have left Jurrjens in the minors and given a spot start to Kris Medlen, but the Braves are choosing to leave him in the bullpen instead. They also could have shifted to a four-man rotation, but Tim Hudson‘s ankle problems make that problematic.
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 20
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)