Jun 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Ian Browne of MLB.com reports that Sweeney has an “irritation in the sesamoid bone in his left foot” and rather than letting him continue to play at less than full strength the Red Sox shut him down and recalled Ryan Kalish from Triple-A.
Bobby Valentine called Sweeney “a trooper” and credited him for a willingness to play hurt in an outfield decimated by injuries, but he recently needed a cortisone shot and was in the midst of a 5-for-31 (.161) slump.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (151)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)