Jun 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Ian Browne of MLB.com reports that Sweeney has an “irritation in the sesamoid bone in his left foot” and rather than letting him continue to play at less than full strength the Red Sox shut him down and recalled Ryan Kalish from Triple-A.
Bobby Valentine called Sweeney “a trooper” and credited him for a willingness to play hurt in an outfield decimated by injuries, but he recently needed a cortisone shot and was in the midst of a 5-for-31 (.161) slump.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?