Jun 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Ian Browne of MLB.com reports that Sweeney has an “irritation in the sesamoid bone in his left foot” and rather than letting him continue to play at less than full strength the Red Sox shut him down and recalled Ryan Kalish from Triple-A.
Bobby Valentine called Sweeney “a trooper” and credited him for a willingness to play hurt in an outfield decimated by injuries, but he recently needed a cortisone shot and was in the midst of a 5-for-31 (.161) slump.
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 0
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 21
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 54
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 77
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 35
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (179)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)