Jun 18, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Jeremy Guthrie has been a mess for the Rockies with a 7.02 ERA and league-high 15 homers allowed in 13 starts after they acquired him from the Orioles in February, and Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that they’re “aggressively trying to trade” the veteran right-hander.
According to Renck the Blue Jays are among the teams interested and are willing to take on most of Guthrie’s bloated $8.2 million salary while giving up an undisclosed prospect. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com names Double-A first baseman Mike McDade as a possibility.
Guthrie was a decent enough mid-rotation starter in Baltimore, throwing 983 innings with a 4.12 ERA in five seasons, but between his $8.2 million salary and tendency to serve up tons of homers he was an odd fit for the Rockies and Coors Field.
To make matters worse the Rockies traded Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom to get Guthrie. Lindstrom has been on the disabled list for a month, but Hammel has come out of nowhere to rank among the top starters in the league with a 2.87 ERA and 77/29 K/BB ratio in 82 innings.
Toronto has lost Brandon Morrow, Kyle Drabek, and Drew Hutchison to injuries this month, so the Blue Jays’ interest in Guthrie as an innings-eating rotation reinforcement makes some sense even if their reported willingness to pay $5 million and a decent prospect for a guy with a 7.02 ERA doesn’t.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)