Jun 18, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Anthony Rizzo probably isn’t going to get a chance to go after the Pacific Coast League Triple Crown after all. The Cubs, seemingly preparing for his arrival, have Bryan LaHair in right field and David DeJesus in center field in Monday’s game against the White Sox.
It’s the first outfield start for LaHair this season. Expectations were that the veteran minor leaguer would simply fade away once Rizzo was ready to take over at first base for the Cubs, but given his .297/.380/.560 line and 12 homers in 182 at-bats to date, that’s clearly not going to happen. Putting Rizzo at first, LaHair in right (where he started nine games after his callup last year) and DeJesus in center would seem to give the Cubs their best possible lineup, though it comes at the price of outfield defense.
The 22-year-old Rizzo is hitting .364/.426/.745 with 23 homers and 59 RBI for Triple-A Iowa. He ranks sixth in the league in hitting, first in homers and second in RBI. While the PCL is certainly an offense-heavy league, Rizzo has an OPS a full 161 points higher than anyone else in the circuit, and Iowa isn’t nearly as hitter friendly in some of the parks. In fact, Rizzo has a 1.239 OPS in road games. He’s also hitting .400 with six homers in 50 at-bats during June.
Assuming all goes well with the new outfield, don’t be surprised to see Rizzo up as soon as Friday. That would give him three games in Arizona before the Cubs return home for six games next week.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 35
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 9
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 31
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)