Jun 18, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Anthony Rizzo probably isn’t going to get a chance to go after the Pacific Coast League Triple Crown after all. The Cubs, seemingly preparing for his arrival, have Bryan LaHair in right field and David DeJesus in center field in Monday’s game against the White Sox.
It’s the first outfield start for LaHair this season. Expectations were that the veteran minor leaguer would simply fade away once Rizzo was ready to take over at first base for the Cubs, but given his .297/.380/.560 line and 12 homers in 182 at-bats to date, that’s clearly not going to happen. Putting Rizzo at first, LaHair in right (where he started nine games after his callup last year) and DeJesus in center would seem to give the Cubs their best possible lineup, though it comes at the price of outfield defense.
The 22-year-old Rizzo is hitting .364/.426/.745 with 23 homers and 59 RBI for Triple-A Iowa. He ranks sixth in the league in hitting, first in homers and second in RBI. While the PCL is certainly an offense-heavy league, Rizzo has an OPS a full 161 points higher than anyone else in the circuit, and Iowa isn’t nearly as hitter friendly in some of the parks. In fact, Rizzo has a 1.239 OPS in road games. He’s also hitting .400 with six homers in 50 at-bats during June.
Assuming all goes well with the new outfield, don’t be surprised to see Rizzo up as soon as Friday. That would give him three games in Arizona before the Cubs return home for six games next week.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)