Jun 18, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
While a deal isn’t considered imminent, one high-ranking official with a National League club said that the veteran third baseman is “being shopped everywhere.” The report names the Diamondbacks, White Sox, Dodgers, Indians and Pirates among the teams who have expressed interest.
Youkilis is only hitting .215/.301/.341 with four home runs, 13 RBI and a .641 OPS through 39 games this season, including his current 1-for-21 (.048) stretch, so the Red Sox certainly aren’t selling high here. With that in mind, they have told teams that they are willing to include cash in order to get a better player in return. The 33-year-old is still owed roughly half of his $12 million salary for this season while his $13 million option for 2013 carries a $1 million buyout.
If Youkilis is moved, rookie Will Middlebrooks would take over the starting third base job in Boston.
- The beauty of belief 1
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 68
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)