Astros owner says he’d welcome Roger Clemens back in the organization

Jun 19, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT

Former baseball star Roger Clemens smiles as he walks outside Federal District Court in Washington

On the heels of Roger Clemens being acquitted on all charges in his perjury trial, new Astros owner Jim Crane told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com last night that he would welcome the seven-time Cy Young Award winner back into the organization in some capacity.

“I’m happy he got a good result, and we look forward to talking to him soon,” Crane said. “Any time you get a Roger Clemens in the mix, you’d have to welcome him back with open arms.”

“We want to see what he wants to do,” Crane said. “I’m sure he’ll need a little time. He’s been busy, but we definitely want to talk to him. He’s got a contract with us, and he could add a dimension we might need somewhere down the road or immediately. As soon as he’s ready to talk, we’ll be ready to talk to him.”

Clemens posted a 2.40 ERA in 84 starts with the Astros from 2004-2006. “The Rocket” won his seventh Cy Young in his first season with the club and played a major part in the team’s World Series run in 2005. He was signed to a personal services contract under former owner Drayton McLane, but hasn’t been involved with the team since 2007.

1. stex52 - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I wouldn’t particularly. He did some good pitching for the Astros, and this whole PED’s court thing didn’t bother me too much. But the man has an endless capacity for being an insufferable jerk. I think they overestimate his PR value, even in his home town.

Not far from how I feel about Nolan Ryan, although Ryan is more popular in Houston.

2. prrbrr - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Roger just proved again if you have money and your famous, crime pays…

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I know we should all view him as not guilty – because, well, he’s not – and I don’t want to ignorantly view him and say he should go away because some of us still think he lied – that’s nothing more than our opinion at this point.

That said, I really don’t think Clemens will be viewed in the same light ever again. Just like Sosa, Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro etc. And that’s a shame, because without PED’s – whether they took them or not – they would have had magnificent careers either way, and would be all but certain to be in the Hall of Fame.

It’s just a shame.

• 18thstreet - Jun 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I view him as guilty because it’s obvious to me that he used some sort of performance-enhancing drug. (It’s just not reasonable to think he could have been at his best in his 40s: http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=815&position=P&page=0&type=mini) That a team of lawyers couldn’t prove it beyond a reasonable doubt doesn’t change my opinion; I also think OJ Simpson killed his wife.

Clemens was among the best ever before using, and among the best of the steroid era. I think he used steroids (or something), I think he lied to Congress about it, and I think he deserves to go into the Hall of Fame. The Hall is full of scoundrels — Ty Cobb, Cap Anson, Tom Yawkey, and so forth. It’s obvious to me Clemens should join them.

4. stlouis1baseball - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I am tired of hearing, discussing and even thinking about PED’s. MLB turned their heads.
    It really is as simple as that. When it served them (turnstiles in perpetual movement)…they turned their heads. Again…it’s really as simple as that. MLB. Turned. Their. Heads.
    Hell…even worse than turning their heads…they investigated the baseball manufacturing facilities cause’ it just had to be a case of the balls being manufacturered differently.
    When the P.C. crowd started rollin’…they waved their fingers in peoples faces & started slapping wrists.
    Put an asterisk in the record book and label it the PED era. Then we can move on.
    Phuqing hypocrites.

• chill1184 - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I agree here, MLB can’t live up to its own standard. See Ryan Braun

• Old Gator - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

What “standard” is that? I don’t see any standards. Do you see any standards?

5. brianjoates - Jun 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

The thing is Roger never had a positive test, Roger only said he never did any of the things he was accused of, he was willing to go to jail over it all. He was found not guilty, at some point you have to believe the guy that he didnt do it. The other guys all failed.

Roger belongs in the HOF, first time. If an MLB team wants him in their organization, that is up to them, he was one of the greates ever to take the mound.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

On point Brian.

6. SmackSaw - Jun 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM

It’s all crap. Ruth never had to hit against Paige. Baseball records should be just that. Baseball records. Deadball era, Segregated era, Raised Mound era, Juiced Ball era, Juiced Player era, Greenie era, 154 game era, DH era…it’s all the same. All these naddering nabobs of negativism making something out of nothing.

Frankly, baseball was much more interesting when players were juiced.

7. mybrunoblog - Jun 19, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Clemens now has lots of baggage. However the one thing you can never take way from him was that he was a tireless worker and he played the game old school tough guy style. Yes the PED thing bothers me too(I think he did use)but we cant go back and rewrite history.
    With all that in mind though, I would be interested to see him work with high level minor leaguers or under achieving big leaguers. His work ethic is legendary and his tough guy persona did annoy some people but I kind of admired it.
    Let him pass all that on to others…….

8. makeham98 - Jun 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Unlike Clemens, Nolan Ryan was never accused of using PEDs. He was able to pitch into his late 40sthanks solely to hard work. . . and his “Advil regimen”. Sure. . .

9. anxovies - Jun 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I am not a big fan of Clemens but I know a setup when I see it. If you ask a president under oath if he had an affair with “that woman” he is going to deny it. If you ask an athlete if he has taken PEDs he is going to deny it. In both Clinton’s and Clemen’s case the context was legislative grandstanding and in the Rocket’s trial, grandstanding by the prosecution, who got their cajones handed to them by the jury.

• mybrunoblog - Jun 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM

check your facts. Clinton was being deposed as part of a civil lawsuit brought by a private citizen. No legislative body had anything to do with his perjury. Looks like you are confusing his perjured testimony with his impeachment charges.
      A little research before posting wouldn’t hurt bro.

10. daviddmsvcp - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

He was a good pitcher.

11. bbk1000 - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

After spending his entire MLB career with Boston he was let go, they thought he was done, he was average at best back then, perhaps 200 total wins or so. As a mid 30 year old it was a nice career, he should have been proud.

He ended up playing a lot longer, and got better, ended up with 350 + wins.

Yea, you get stronger as you get older, I’m starting to run…might win the 100 meter this year…

12. prrbrr - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Go read SI’s article last week on roids in baseball. Best article I ever read. Guys trying to play it straight and honest got nowhere. Guys who injected or pill popped made the bigs. Very eye opening and shed a different light on folks like Roger. He should not go to the HOF, any more than Bonds or McG. Juiced up was and is flat out cheating. Testing negative doesn’t mean you never injected. Again read the SI report it was mind changing.

13. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I know if i owned a baseball team i would absolutely have a job for this guy with my team. Id want him to work with my minor league pitchers and have him explain to them on how to pitch and how to pitch inside (a lot art) and how to not take crap from anyone (ask piazza about that). Guy is a winner, always has been, always will be and is the best right hander in the post ww2 era

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3731)