Jun 19, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Apparently, he’s the new Manny Alexander.
Injured Phillies infielder Freddy Galvis was suspended 50 games Tuesday after testing positive for Clostebol, a performance-enhancing substance.
In a statement, Galvis claimed that “a trace amount of a banned substances — 80 parts in a trillion — was detected in my urine sample” and that he’d never knowingly take a banned substance. He apologized to “all of my fans, especially here in Philadelphia and back home in Venezuela, to my teammates and to the Phillies organization.”
Taking over as the Phillies’ starting second baseman with Chase Utley out, Galvis was hitting .226/.254/.363 with three homers and 24 RBI in 190 at-bats when he suffered a back injury earlier this month. The injury was later diagnosed as a fractured vertebra and was expected to sideline Galvis for at least another month, if not for most of the rest of the season.
Galvis will be able to serve his suspension while on the disabled list, so it might not actually cost him any additional time. It will cost him about $150,000 in salary, though.
While Galvis’ offensive production was modest, it was still a somewhat pleasant surprise given his history. He had 19 extra-base hits in 190 at-bats for the Phillies, an average of one every 10 at-bats. In his four minor league seasons, he averaged one extra-base hit every 19.6 at-bats. His 15 doubles led the Phillies at the time of his injury.
Update: The Phillies have released a statement:
The Phillies continue to believe in and endorse Major League Baseball’s drug policy. We also support Freddy Galvis in his determination to put this matter behind him and we look forward to his return as a productive member of the Phillies as soon as possible.
After the suspension was announced, Galvis tweeted, in Spanish, about turning the page:
La vida muchas veces no es justa..pero asi es ella..tienes q seguir adelante y pasar la pagina..—
freddy galvis (@toco13fg) June 19, 2012
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)