Jun 19, 2012, 2:50 PM EST
Jason Marquis was about as bad as a pitcher can be for the Twins, posting an 8.47 ERA with more walks than strikeouts and a .371 opponents’ batting average in 34 innings.
Minnesota released him six weeks into a $3 million contract and Marquis signed a minor-league deal with the Padres, reported to Double-A for one start, and then joined San Diego’s rotation in what looked like a desperation move.
So naturally he’s thrown three consecutive Quality Starts for the Padres, the latest of which included 10 strikeouts in seven innings of two-run ball against the Rangers and their AL-leading offense last night. Marquis had a grand total of 12 strikeouts in seven starts for the Twins.
Marquis and his agent made a good choice, because in addition to switching from the AL to the NL calling the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark home gives him the best chance to be useful for the Padres. That might explain him being a somewhat decent back-of-the-rotation starter again, but how in the world does he go from a total mess to shutting down one of the most dangerous lineups in baseball while racking up double-digit strikeouts for the first time since 2001?
If anyone has an answer to that question you can find me talking to my Al Newman bobblehead doll while crying into my Homer Hanky.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 19
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 18
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 31
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)