Jun 19, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
Jason Marquis was about as bad as a pitcher can be for the Twins, posting an 8.47 ERA with more walks than strikeouts and a .371 opponents’ batting average in 34 innings.
Minnesota released him six weeks into a $3 million contract and Marquis signed a minor-league deal with the Padres, reported to Double-A for one start, and then joined San Diego’s rotation in what looked like a desperation move.
So naturally he’s thrown three consecutive Quality Starts for the Padres, the latest of which included 10 strikeouts in seven innings of two-run ball against the Rangers and their AL-leading offense last night. Marquis had a grand total of 12 strikeouts in seven starts for the Twins.
Marquis and his agent made a good choice, because in addition to switching from the AL to the NL calling the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark home gives him the best chance to be useful for the Padres. That might explain him being a somewhat decent back-of-the-rotation starter again, but how in the world does he go from a total mess to shutting down one of the most dangerous lineups in baseball while racking up double-digit strikeouts for the first time since 2001?
If anyone has an answer to that question you can find me talking to my Al Newman bobblehead doll while crying into my Homer Hanky.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)