Jun 19, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
Jason Marquis was about as bad as a pitcher can be for the Twins, posting an 8.47 ERA with more walks than strikeouts and a .371 opponents’ batting average in 34 innings.
Minnesota released him six weeks into a $3 million contract and Marquis signed a minor-league deal with the Padres, reported to Double-A for one start, and then joined San Diego’s rotation in what looked like a desperation move.
So naturally he’s thrown three consecutive Quality Starts for the Padres, the latest of which included 10 strikeouts in seven innings of two-run ball against the Rangers and their AL-leading offense last night. Marquis had a grand total of 12 strikeouts in seven starts for the Twins.
Marquis and his agent made a good choice, because in addition to switching from the AL to the NL calling the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark home gives him the best chance to be useful for the Padres. That might explain him being a somewhat decent back-of-the-rotation starter again, but how in the world does he go from a total mess to shutting down one of the most dangerous lineups in baseball while racking up double-digit strikeouts for the first time since 2001?
If anyone has an answer to that question you can find me talking to my Al Newman bobblehead doll while crying into my Homer Hanky.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)