Jun 19, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
Jason Marquis was about as bad as a pitcher can be for the Twins, posting an 8.47 ERA with more walks than strikeouts and a .371 opponents’ batting average in 34 innings.
Minnesota released him six weeks into a $3 million contract and Marquis signed a minor-league deal with the Padres, reported to Double-A for one start, and then joined San Diego’s rotation in what looked like a desperation move.
So naturally he’s thrown three consecutive Quality Starts for the Padres, the latest of which included 10 strikeouts in seven innings of two-run ball against the Rangers and their AL-leading offense last night. Marquis had a grand total of 12 strikeouts in seven starts for the Twins.
Marquis and his agent made a good choice, because in addition to switching from the AL to the NL calling the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark home gives him the best chance to be useful for the Padres. That might explain him being a somewhat decent back-of-the-rotation starter again, but how in the world does he go from a total mess to shutting down one of the most dangerous lineups in baseball while racking up double-digit strikeouts for the first time since 2001?
If anyone has an answer to that question you can find me talking to my Al Newman bobblehead doll while crying into my Homer Hanky.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 280
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 32
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (294)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)