Jun 19, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
The Rays just announced that Jeremy Hellickson was placed on the disabled list with right shoulder fatigue. Chris Archer will be called up from Triple-A Durham to make his major league debut tomorrow night against the Nationals.
Hellickson was knocked around for a career-high eight runs on nine hits (including three home runs) last Thursday against the Mets. The poor outing caused his ERA to jump from 2.65 to 3.45 on the year.
The good news for the Rays is that the situation doesn’t sound all that serious, as Hellickson told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he’s only dealing with “a little fatigue” and doesn’t feel any pain or discomfort in the shoulder. The hope is that he’ll only have to miss two starts.
As for Archer, he was acquired from the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal last January along with Hak-Ju Lee, Robinson Chirinos, Brandon Guyer and Sam Fuld. The 23-year-old right-hander has a 4.81 ERA and 90/45 K/BB ratio over 76 2/3 innings this season at the Triple-A level. He has struggled with command at times, averaging 5.2 BB/9 in parts of seven seasons in the minors, but he gets lots of swings and misses with his low-to-mid 90s heat and his slider is considered a plus-pitch.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)