Jun 19, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
The Rays just announced that Jeremy Hellickson was placed on the disabled list with right shoulder fatigue. Chris Archer will be called up from Triple-A Durham to make his major league debut tomorrow night against the Nationals.
Hellickson was knocked around for a career-high eight runs on nine hits (including three home runs) last Thursday against the Mets. The poor outing caused his ERA to jump from 2.65 to 3.45 on the year.
The good news for the Rays is that the situation doesn’t sound all that serious, as Hellickson told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he’s only dealing with “a little fatigue” and doesn’t feel any pain or discomfort in the shoulder. The hope is that he’ll only have to miss two starts.
As for Archer, he was acquired from the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal last January along with Hak-Ju Lee, Robinson Chirinos, Brandon Guyer and Sam Fuld. The 23-year-old right-hander has a 4.81 ERA and 90/45 K/BB ratio over 76 2/3 innings this season at the Triple-A level. He has struggled with command at times, averaging 5.2 BB/9 in parts of seven seasons in the minors, but he gets lots of swings and misses with his low-to-mid 90s heat and his slider is considered a plus-pitch.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)