Jun 19, 2012, 4:18 PM EST
The Rays just announced that Jeremy Hellickson was placed on the disabled list with right shoulder fatigue. Chris Archer will be called up from Triple-A Durham to make his major league debut tomorrow night against the Nationals.
Hellickson was knocked around for a career-high eight runs on nine hits (including three home runs) last Thursday against the Mets. The poor outing caused his ERA to jump from 2.65 to 3.45 on the year.
The good news for the Rays is that the situation doesn’t sound all that serious, as Hellickson told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he’s only dealing with “a little fatigue” and doesn’t feel any pain or discomfort in the shoulder. The hope is that he’ll only have to miss two starts.
As for Archer, he was acquired from the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal last January along with Hak-Ju Lee, Robinson Chirinos, Brandon Guyer and Sam Fuld. The 23-year-old right-hander has a 4.81 ERA and 90/45 K/BB ratio over 76 2/3 innings this season at the Triple-A level. He has struggled with command at times, averaging 5.2 BB/9 in parts of seven seasons in the minors, but he gets lots of swings and misses with his low-to-mid 90s heat and his slider is considered a plus-pitch.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (110)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)