Jun 19, 2012, 4:18 PM EST
The Rays just announced that Jeremy Hellickson was placed on the disabled list with right shoulder fatigue. Chris Archer will be called up from Triple-A Durham to make his major league debut tomorrow night against the Nationals.
Hellickson was knocked around for a career-high eight runs on nine hits (including three home runs) last Thursday against the Mets. The poor outing caused his ERA to jump from 2.65 to 3.45 on the year.
The good news for the Rays is that the situation doesn’t sound all that serious, as Hellickson told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he’s only dealing with “a little fatigue” and doesn’t feel any pain or discomfort in the shoulder. The hope is that he’ll only have to miss two starts.
As for Archer, he was acquired from the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal last January along with Hak-Ju Lee, Robinson Chirinos, Brandon Guyer and Sam Fuld. The 23-year-old right-hander has a 4.81 ERA and 90/45 K/BB ratio over 76 2/3 innings this season at the Triple-A level. He has struggled with command at times, averaging 5.2 BB/9 in parts of seven seasons in the minors, but he gets lots of swings and misses with his low-to-mid 90s heat and his slider is considered a plus-pitch.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)