Scott Kazmir is playing for the Sugarland Skeeters now

Jun 19, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT

Scott Kazmir AP

Here’s how far Scott Kazmir‘s star has fallen: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the two-time All-Star–who’s still just 29 years old–has agreed to a deal with the independent league Sugarland Skeeters.

Apparently they play in Houston, which is where Kazmir is from.

Kazmir was released by the Angels in June of last year and has thrown for scouts several times since then while also pitching winter ball in the Dominican Republic, but no team has taken a flier on the formerly dominant left-hander.

His last effective season was in 2008 for the Rays when he threw 152 innings with a 3.49 ERA and 166 strikeouts. Since then Kazmir has a 5.54 ERA and just 6.3 strikeouts per nine innings in 55 starts and the most recent reports had him throwing in the high-80s.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Jun 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I had to check out the team website as soon as I read that they were called the Skeeters and they are surprisingly coached by Gary “No Earflap” Gaetii.

2. raindog - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Skeeters… Heheh.

3. stex52 - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

If you know the area, it’s a very appropriate name. This is their first year in operation. It’s a nice, new stadium in one of the most rapidly growing exurbs of Houston.What with the moribund state of the Astros, I expect they are off to a good start.

4. cosanostra71 - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM

What happened to the guy? Injuries? Or did he just lose it? Too bad.

5. xmatt0926x - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I’m pretty sure he just lost it for some reason. I don’t recall a major injury but I could be wrong. I can understand him trying again and again despite the several years of bad results. Imagine being in his shoes where you’ve been a much talked about future star and you’re thinking you will be a dominant pitcher for years making tens of millions of dollars and just like that it all goes away for no apparent reason. It has to drive him crazy.

6. mybrunoblog - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Kazmir made over $30 million during his years in MLB. I think it’s great when a guy loves the game so much that he is willing to play independent ball in an attempt to regain his form. Yes you can say “his star fell” but a guy who made tons of $ and played 8 years at the highest level of pro baseball did ok for himself.
    I hope he can make it back to the bigs.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3952)